This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring of Pi / monitor / AIS, etc.
I'm a software guy and new to installing new electrical on my boat. My boat has a panel switch for "Instrument" that lights the analog instruments at the helm (RPM, compass, etc) and I plan to tie into it for powering my new OP Pi4 system. If anyone has any diagrams of how they power (12v) their system then please let me know and I'll try to glean from what you have.

If not, my questions are:
- Do I assume correctly that the 12v coming from the battery (via the panel) needs a converter to any/each components like the pi, powered USB hub, monitor, AIS, etc. as well as an appropriate fuse between the converter and the component?
- Can one converter, say 12v->5v/3A, be used by all components with such power ratings or does each need their own converter?

Thanks for the help!  -don
(2022-07-05, 09:09 PM)bedfordd Wrote: I'm a software guy and new to installing new electrical on my boat. My boat has a panel switch for "Instrument" that lights the analog instruments at the helm (RPM, compass, etc) and I plan to tie into it for powering my new OP Pi4 system. If anyone has any diagrams of how they power (12v) their system then please let me know and I'll try to glean from what you have.

- Do I assume correctly that the 12v coming from the battery (via the panel) needs a converter to any/each components like the pi, powered USB hub, monitor, AIS, etc. as well as an appropriate fuse between the converter and the component?
- Can one converter, say 12v->5v/3A, be used by all components with such power ratings or does each need their own converter?

Here is a diagram of how my system is connected and parts list:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmZj-tob5pZokEi8kohX...Q?e=haZvKR

I have configured my system so I can just turn it off, however, if you don't want to do that, you could just use the powered Hub that I use is 12V based and I connect directly to it from the boat batteries.  I have used fuse boxes to be able to independently fuse the different elements.  Your question depends on what equipment you buy but, generally, try to buy 12V (10.2-16v) or 5V (USB powered) then you can decide if you use a power converter or powered USB hub to power your needs

See my video on Youtube:
https://youtu.be/enPFlHpmJVA
(2022-07-06, 02:54 PM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2022-07-05, 09:09 PM)bedfordd Wrote: I'm a software guy and new to installing new electrical on my boat. My boat has a panel switch for "Instrument" that lights the analog instruments at the helm (RPM, compass, etc) and I plan to tie into it for powering my new OP Pi4 system. If anyone has any diagrams of how they power (12v) their system then please let me know and I'll try to glean from what you have.

Here is a diagram of how my system is connected and parts list:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmZj-tob5pZokEi8kohX...Q?e=haZvKR

I have configured my system so I can just turn it off, however, if you don't want to do that, you could just use the powered Hub that I use is 12V based and I connect directly to it from the boat batteries.  I have used fuse boxes to be able to independently fuse the different elements.  Your question depends on what equipment you buy but, generally, try to buy 12V (10.2-16v) or 5V (USB powered) then you can decide if you use a power converter or powered USB hub to power your needs

See my video on Youtube:
https://youtu.be/enPFlHpmJVA

Techstyle, thank you this is great. I also viewed your videos.  Yes, a few of my components can use the powered USB hub but many need to be hard wired.  For your powered USB hub, did you strip the input USB line and take it to your battery? How did you power it?  Thanks again!
The powered hub came with a 120V to 12V power adapter that I cut the Wall wart off and then connected the wires directly to a new fuse box I added from the breaker/power switch. So not the Input USB line, but the separate power line, the input USB line was unchanged.