This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to start RTL AIS service after unistall and reinstall of the SDR VHF module
Hi,

After reinstalling the SDR VHF module there is no openplotter-rtl_ais.service file. If I uninstall again the module the log shows:

Uninstalling pyrtlsdr-0.2.92:
  Successfully uninstalled pyrtlsdr-0.2.92
Failed to stop openplotter-rtl_ais.service: Unit openplotter-rtl_ais.service not loaded.
Failed to disable unit: Unit file openplotter-rtl_ais.service does not exist.

Tried to install manually all packages listed in the log when installing the module but it looks like I'm (and the GUI) missing the one that contains the service file.

Searched with apt-file search with no luck.

Anyone has a clue on what happend?

Thanks and regards,
Hi,

the error seems to be in the SDR module. When selecting AIS, both the install and uninstall buttons are greyed out. I supose that is the install function that downloads and installs the required packages for the service to be correctly installed and loaded.

May someone that has the install option not greyed out for AIS in the SDR module post me which packages are installed? They are shown in the log when installing.

Thank you and kind regards,
Hi,

solved the issue. Just recreated the service file manually with it's original contents:

cat /etc/systemd/system/openplotter-rtl_ais.service
[Unit]
Description = Decode AIS received by rtl-sdr and send as NMEA 0183 to UDP port
After=syslog.target network.target audit.service
StartLimitInterval=200
StartLimitBurst=5
[Service]
Type=simple
User=root
EnvironmentFile=/home/pi/.openplotter/openplotter.conf
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rtl_ais -d $sdraisdeviceindex -p $sdraisppm -g $sdraisgain -P $sdraisport
Restart=always
RestartSec=30
KillMode=process

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

After that the service can be managed through the SDR VHF GUI application.

Regards,