This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to setup OP as wlan client only
Hi, new user, thanks for all the great work on this!

RE: RPi4B (powered by a PICAN-M). I tried both the new 64bit and 32 bit v3 images with the same result:

Since I already have an established router and network on board with internet access, I simply want to disable the Access Point in my RPi4V with Open Plotter and set it up as a client instead on my existing wifi network. Normally I expect I would just connect to my wifi using the traditional network client panel in the upper right corner of the Pi GUI, however this indicates there are "no wireless interfaces found".

Mousing over the up/down arrow icon shows:
elan0 down
wlan9 associated with <blank>
wlan 9 configured 10.10.10.10/24

When trying to do anything in the Pi Network Preferences, permission errors trying to configure dhcpcd.conf are all that happens.

Using the OP network app, regardless of how I set the AP Panel (None, etc.) the WLan panel remains unable to be configured.

(Tried to attach screen captures but apparently they are too big)

I am by no means an expert Pi user, but I also noticed when trying to do assorted terminal commands that I use regularly on other systems, that there are many cases of permission denied.

Also when launching an app, for instance 'openplotter-network', it takes a good six seconds before it comes up. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help!

Rob
(2022-07-23, 09:33 PM)voltdoc Wrote: Hi, new user, thanks for all the great work on this!

RE: RPi4B (powered by a PICAN-M). I tried both the new 64bit and 32 bit v3 images with the same result:

Since I already have an established router and network on board with internet access, I simply want to disable the Access Point in my RPi4V with Open Plotter and set it up as a client instead on my existing wifi network. Normally I expect I would just connect to my wifi using the traditional network client panel in the upper right corner of the Pi GUI, however this indicates there are "no wireless interfaces found".

elan0 down

When trying to do anything in the Pi Network Preferences, permission errors trying to configure dhcpcd.conf are all that happens.

Using the OP network app, regardless of how I set the AP Panel (None, etc.) the WLan panel remains unable to be configured.

I am by no means an expert Pi user, but I also noticed when trying to do assorted terminal commands that I use regularly on other systems, that there are many cases of permission denied.

Also when launching an app, for instance 'openplotter-network', it takes a good six seconds before it comes up. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help!

Rob

Have you set the wifi country   ?   in sudo rasp-config
Sailing in a LM23  23" motor sailor i Danmark  .  Mostly In Koege bay  .
Harbored  in SF-Syd  , Copenhagen .
Marine Enginer  ,   Pt. working on power plant 
(2022-07-24, 12:08 PM)winkaj Wrote:
(2022-07-23, 09:33 PM)voltdoc Wrote: Hi, new user, thanks for all the great work on this!

elan0 down

Thanks for any help!

Rob

Thanks for the reply. Good point, I forgot to mention that above - my attempts to set the wifi country from the GUI always fail. By default this setting is <not set>, I try to change it to US but it never takes and immediately reverts back to <not set>. I did not try from raspi-config, I will do that but not hopeful it will be any more successful. All other localization seems to work correctly. Will let you know, thank you.
(2022-07-24, 12:43 PM)voltdoc Wrote:

elan0 down

Thanks for any help!

Rob

Thanks for the reply. Good point, I forgot to mention that above - my attempts to set the wifi country from the GUI always fail. By default this setting is <not set>, I try to change it to US but it never takes and immediately reverts back to <not set>. I did not try from raspi-config, I will do that but not hopeful it will be any more successful. All other localization seems to work correctly. Will let you know, thank you.
OK, so I tried from raspi-config, no success, I get the following notification:
"Could not communicate with wpa_supplicant"
"There was an error running L4 WLAN Country"

Also I tried some of the other localization settings from raspi-config and after closing it, there were multiple errors found in the terminal window, this is not normal behavior as compared to other RPi I am using:

pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo raspi-config
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_GB.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
  en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
Generation complete.
pi@openplotter:~ $ 

The above errors will repeat every time localization is accessed.

I also tried loading the image on a Pi3B+ with the same result. So far the new openplotter images appear to be unusable for me.
(2022-07-25, 03:48 PM)voltdoc Wrote:
(2022-07-24, 12:43 PM)voltdoc Wrote:

elan0 down

Thanks for any help!

Rob

OK, so I tried from raspi-config, no success, I get the following notification:
"Could not communicate with wpa_supplicant"
"There was an error running L4 WLAN Country"

Also I tried some of the other localization settings from raspi-config and after closing it, there were multiple errors found in the terminal window, this is not normal behavior as compared to other RPi I am using:

pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo raspi-config
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_GB.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
  en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
Generation complete.
pi@openplotter:~ $ 

The above errors will repeat every time localization is accessed.

I also tried loading the image on a Pi3B+ with the same result. So far the new openplotter images appear to be unusable for me.
Have you tried another SD-card ?
Sailing in a LM23  23" motor sailor i Danmark  .  Mostly In Koege bay  .
Harbored  in SF-Syd  , Copenhagen .
Marine Enginer  ,   Pt. working on power plant 
Yes, three different cards (which all worked fine with other images) two were 32GB, one was 16GB. All Sandisk Ultra.
3 different RPi's, one Pi4B 2GB, one Pi3B+, one Pi3B.
Since I do not currently have a keyboard on board, I tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the :"headless" image on all the Pi's. 

However!
I downloaded the 64bit version of the "Starting" image and by using the Raspberry Pi Imager settings was able to force it to load SSH, so I was able to get in without a keyboard - this one is working fine! At least so far, the networking is behaving as it should and I am not seeing the plethora of "permission denied" and "no such file or directory" messages I was with the headless version.

It seems there is some significant issue with the "headless" image?

Thanks for your help.
If you use the headless edition you need to disable the access point to be able to connect as client.

Remember, you always need to click [Image: edit1.png] and finally [Image: ok.png] : https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3....t-on-board
Sailoog, thank you for your response and the great work on what you have built here.

Yes, I am aware that the AP must be disabled before I can set up the device as a client. Correct me if I am missing something but this should be doable from the openplotter-network panel correct? Under the Access Point tab, I set the AP to "none" and clicked the pencil icon and then it says "Edit settings and validate" at the bottom of the window. I assumed that now, under the WiFi Client tab, I would be able to configure a network to connect to as a client - I could not, the "+" is greyed out and does not react. Then I thought, well it is not indicated, but perhaps a reboot is required after setting the AP to "none". So I did that and the same issue as before. Finally, I noted that the "openplotter" SSID still appears after setting the AP to none (even after a reboot), so I am guessing whatever script is supposed to run is not completing. Also as previously mentioned it is not possible to set the WLAN Country either in the GUI localization settings or via raspi-config. All of this works as expected in the "Starting" image.

Regards,
Rob
I think you never clicked "Save" ([Image: ok.png]) after clicking "Edit" ([Image: edit1.png]), so the AP was always enabled.

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3....t-on-board
Ha, that's it! The problem was between the keyboard and the back of the chair!

But then if I set the AP to None it forces a reboot, and since I couldn't preset the wlan first, it takes away the "headless" capability (well, as far as I can tell anyway). Possible to do with Ethernet I suppose?, but that requires more equipment that I might not have available onboard. Or other setting?

The quickest and least confusing way it seems for what I wanted to do (configure the Pi as a client to an existing wlan - not AP) was use the "Starting" image and configure my localization, wlan info, and enable SSH in the Raspberry Pi Imager then burn the image. When that image booted up the Pi was already mapped to my wlan so all I had to do was SSH in and enable VNC using raspi-config. This is what I was expecting from the term "headless".

Suggestion is to add some explanation to the blurb preceding the "Headless" download that explains it is actually set up as an AP, and if you want instead to operate as a client to an existing wlan, what the best way is to do that. Would have saved a lot of time if I had known that.

Thanks for your support, I'll try to do a better job of reading the docs!