This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pypilot and existing equipment
I currently have a Comnav (very outdated) AP on my sailboat and and I'm having trouble with it. So far I've been unable to find the problem but it is something in the electronics, so I'm thinking its time for a new AP.
The Pypilot really intrigues me but I'm wondering a couple of things. 1) I should be able to wire the Pypilot to the reversing pump of my Comnav system, correct? And 2) Will I be able to integrate the Pypilot with my Raymarine chartplotter running Navionics charts?

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and a bunch of sensors but not the components I would need for the Pypilot. Is there a list of needed components available?

TIA,
Ron
Yes it will work with a reversing pump.

As for using raymarine chartplotter... The level of integration will never be as good as OpenCPN which has a pypilot plugin, but if it can send/receive nmea0183 it can share sensor data like gps, wind, etc and follow routes.

For components check:
https://github.com/pypilot/workbook/wiki

You need interntial sensors recommend mpu9255 or icm20948 as well as a motor controller for a minimal setup.
(2022-08-10, 03:11 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Yes it will work with a reversing pump.

As for using raymarine chartplotter... The level of integration will never be as good as OpenCPN which has a pypilot plugin, but if it can  send/receive nmea0183 it can share sensor data like gps, wind, etc and follow routes.

For components check:
https://github.com/pypilot/workbook/wiki

You need interntial sensors recommend mpu9255 or icm20948 as well as a motor controller for a minimal setup.

Excellent, thank you very much. I am not so concerned about Raymarine integration, I can always share routes between Openplotter and the Axiom. 
I have been mucking about with my raspberry pi for a while now and think I can handle this. It's either that or try to figure out what is wrong with the Comnav... again.

I appreciate your response, Cheers!