This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connect Raspbery Pi 4B to NMEA2000 Network via USB
Question 
Can anyone give me any guidance on what device i should look for to connect my Raspi to a NMEA2000 network so I can send/receive data into SignalK please?

Apologies. Only just got the boat and there's so much to learn.

Big Grin

TIA
Hi,

You might find these blogs interesting: https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/search/label/NMEA2000

Jukka
(2022-08-11, 04:22 PM)steel_cruiser Wrote: Hi,

You might find these blogs interesting: https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/search/label/NMEA2000

Jukka

This looks nice! Would this board work on top of my Moitessier Hat (V2)?

/Jens
(2022-08-11, 12:18 PM)forceseven Wrote: Can anyone give me any guidance on what device i should look for to connect my Raspi to a NMEA2000 network so I can send/receive data into SignalK please?

Apologies. Only just got the boat and there's so much to learn.

Big Grin

TIA

Any of the USB->CAN products can work. I used to use the TouCAN Marine device. I have even used my own that I built/programmed with a SailorHat from HatLabs and eventually transitioned to a smaller ESP32 board. Ultimately I decided to move away from USB interfaces. 

I ended up using the PiCAN-M hat with power supply to power the whole Pi off of the 12 volt NMEA2000 network, which is great! It is stacked on top of a USB hat (which I hope to migrate away from) and it has all been working great for over two years! I imagine the Pi may draw more power than NMEA2000 standard allows for a single device, but I've had no problems and have expanded my network. Now with OpenPlotter v3, it's all running beautifully!

Any CAN hat and probably most RS485 devices can work. Becareful that NMEA2000 has 12volt power in it and you don't want to hook that up to any Pi device directly, as it will fry everything, unless it is specifically built with power converter to draw 12 volts.
I am about to install a 2-Channel Isolated CAN Bus Expansion HAT on my Pi4. OP 2

Do I need to install the bcm2835, wiringPi & Python libraries as well as modify config.txt file or just set up per the docs for Input data by MCP2515/MCP251xfd??