This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serial can't find my devices
Hello

I've installed OP V3 64 bit on a RPi 4, Settings v 3.4.4 and Serial 3.1.3. I got an usb gps dongle connected via an usb-hub, but Serial can't see it. I've tried to connect it directly to the RPi too, but Serial can't find it anyway.

I added a connection directly from Signal K, and there the gps dongle is listed and works fine when added. Still no sign of it in Serials...

(I got a keyboard, gsm-modem and a thumb drive connected to the usb hub too, and they work just fine).

Anyone got an idea of how to solve this?

Thanks
Andreas
open a terminal and type

openplotter-serial

copy here any error you get in the terminal
Maybe it is a bug because I have the same issue.
I just flashed a new sd card with the 64 bit openplotter 3 image and moved the card on the Raspi 4B 8G where Openplotter 2 is running fine.
The serial application doesn't show any serial device even if there are 7 USB converters connected.
See the attached screenshots:

- one from the openplotter 2 with the serial showing the adapters
- the other from openplotter 3 with dmesg showing the adapters and serial empty (even after refreshing it)

the hardware is the same in the two cases.

OK let's see what is going on here. Please could both of you do this:

- Go to settings app and enable the debugging mode: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3....-debugging
- Plug in your non detected devices.
- Open a terminal an type: openplotter-serial
- Report here the output of the terminal

Have you tried with OP3 32bit?
I am interested to OP3 because it has the 64 bit OS, so it has no sense for me to try the 32 bit version.

I executed the requested steps and the result is:

wrong external apps format: unexpected EOF while parsing (<string>, line 0)
No module named 'openplotterMoitessier'
No module named 'openplotterMacarthur'
No module named 'openplotterOpenmarinebox'
No module named 'openplotterMaiana'
No module named 'openplotterSdrVhf'
No module named 'openplotterIot'
No module named 'openplotterNotifications'
No module named 'openplotterGpio'
No module named 'openplotterI2c'
No module named 'openplotterPypilot'
No module named 'openplotterAvnav'
No module named 'openplotterNetwork.serialPorts'
No module named 'openplotterDashboards.serialPorts'

as soon the command completed, inside the Serial GUI the connected devices showed up.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
(2022-09-02, 05:17 PM)pacman Wrote: as soon the command completed, inside the Serial GUI the connected devices showed up.

I am confused, so is the issue fixed? are you in 64bit or 32bit?
(2022-09-02, 07:25 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I am confused, so is the issue fixed? are you in 64bit or 32bit?

I am on 64 bit.
After executing openplotter-serial I got the messages I sent and the serial GUI showed the devices.
After shutdown and restart, the serial GUI again showed no devices.
That’s interesting as I’m having a similar issue. I moved my VHF off USB and onto PiCAN-M serial port. It works fine, but after a reboot, SK looses its connection. I have to open serial, refresh the alias (by selecting it and hitting "Apply") and then the connection is made and everything is fine.
I think we are mixing issues here.

b135802:

- any error in the terminal?
- Is Signal k detecting the gps when connected to through the hub?
- could you send an screenshot of the signal k serial connection settings for the detected gps?

pacman

OK, that is weird. These random effects usually mean power issues. Is your usb hub self powered?

- Try connection only 2 devices, set them in serial app and reboot several times.
- Try again with only 2 different devices.

If all your devices are detected when connected individually but it does not work when all are connected you will have the confirmation of a power issue.

SCarns

What "SK looses its connection" means? does the connection disappear from SK?
(2022-09-04, 11:12 AM)Sailoog Wrote: I think we are mixing issues here.
pacman

OK, that is weird. These random effects usually mean power issues. Is your usb hub self powered?

- Try connection only 2 devices, set them in serial app and reboot several times.
- Try again with only 2 different devices.

If all your devices are detected when connected individually but it does not work when all are connected you will have the confirmation of a power issue.

Yes Sailoog, the hubs I am using are self powered.
Anyway the last test I made it was with only two devices connected with no hub, this excludes definitely a power issue.