This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serial can't find my devices
(2022-09-02, 08:17 PM)pacman Wrote:
(2022-09-02, 07:25 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I am confused, so is the issue fixed? are you in 64bit or 32bit?

I am on 64 bit.
After executing openplotter-serial I got the messages I sent and the serial GUI showed the devices.
After shutdown and restart, the serial GUI again showed no devices.

Hi guys

It seems like there might be an issue with the configuration or initialization of the serial devices on your system. Upon executing "openplotter-serial," the messages were successfully sent and the GUI displayed the devices.Free Fire
(2023-06-10, 06:36 AM)Aashi1 Wrote:
(2022-09-02, 08:17 PM)pacman Wrote:
(2022-09-02, 07:25 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I am confused, so is the issue fixed? are you in 64bit or 32bit?

I am on 64 bit.
After executing openplotter-serial I got the messages I sent and the serial GUI showed the devices.
After shutdown and restart, the serial GUI again showed no devices.

Hi guys

It seems like there might be an issue with the configuration or initialization of the serial devices on your system. Upon executing "openplotter-serial," the messages were successfully sent and the GUI displayed the devices.Free Fire

Another quality post from this bot. Three posts in total, none of which is sensible or helpful.
I am having a very similar issue with Openplotter on a Raspberry PI 4, 4GB.  The serial devices show, then don't show -- at least some of them.  I'm pluggin in a Maiana AIS device.   It has a USB dongle.  It shows up.   I configured it, it worked... until it didn't.   The device showed on lsusb results, until it didn't.    I swapped USB dongles thinking I might have a defective one.  It showed up!  Then it didn't.   I even tried a 3rd separate USB device (powered from NMEA2000 network instead of straight to 12V power on the boat).   It showed up!  Then it didn't.   

Since I've tried THREE separate USB devices and they all showed the same behavior I'm pretty much convinced the issue isn't the Maiana USB devices but is rather something going on with the PI board (and it's usb connectivity) or the operating system itself.  

I've read online a number of complaints of intermittent USB issues on 4GB+ PI 4's because something in the system overwrote the USB devices when using more than 3GB of RAM.   This was back in 2020/2021 though so I'd think the newer kernels being distributed would have dealt with those patches.

I think when I get back to the boat this week I'm going to burn a 32bit image and see if that solves it.   I'll also try every update I can run to see if I can get the USB listings to show properly.   I'll also try  sudo usb-devices to see if it's a permissions thing.  

I've also purchased (but not yet received) another RPI4 to see if it's the specific device I'm using.   That said, I've tried multiple USB mouse/keyboard setups and those seem to work consistently so I'm not sure why the three other devices I have are failing to be recognized.   I've also got an NGT-1 to install which has a USB connection so I'll be able to confirm if that device has the same issue as the three Maiana devices...
(2022-09-01, 12:45 PM)Sailoog Wrote: open a terminal and type

openplotter-serial

copy here any error you get in the terminal

This summer I have noticed several issues linked to Serial (or signal K ?) :
(32 b version, Settings 2.9, Open CPN 5.6.2) : on starting  OpenCPN : No Fix, Checking Signal K : no green line for GPSD...
in Serial/ connections : the line for gnss is present. Select an delete, wait for 12 s, then re-select and Add to gpsd ...  Everything is working right ! (in Signal K green line is back !)
After stopping openplotter, on restart : No Fix ! ... Same treatment, cures again ...(repeatedly day after day ...)
Once, at startup : worked directly ! next startup : failed again .
Then Once, during navigation, the FIX disappeared ! Same process cured again (delete connection, recreate it)... (2 x12s seems veeeeeery long when heading towards a rocks field ...)

Lauching Serrial from terminal gives the following :
pi@openplotter:~ $ openplotter-serial
wrong external apps format: unexpected EOF while parsing (<string>, line 0)

(openplotter-serial:1348): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:50:01.815: for_size smaller than min-size (5 < 13) while measuring gadget (node radio, owner GtkRadioButton)

(openplotter-serial:1348): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:50:01.898: Negative content height -3 (allocation 1, extents 2x2) while allocating gadget (node radiobutton, owner GtkRadioButton)

(openplotter-serial:1348): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:50:01.899: for_size smaller than min-size (0 < 13) while measuring gadget (node radio, owner GtkRadioButton)

(openplotter-serial:1348): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:50:01.899: Negative content height -2 (allocation 0, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node radio, owner GtkRadioButton)
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you