This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maiana AIS connection issue
Hello all - Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here?

Have installed maiana as per directions (via USB), app will not connect to the device and remains in a constant state of trying to read device settings. Note: in the setup directions, it recommends 'remember device' by over 'remember port,' however It will not give me the option and automatically opts to 'remember port.' Not sure if this makes much difference?

Signal K error reads as "permission denied, cannot connect to /devttyOP_maiana"

have reinstalled several times, updated all apps etc. No luck.

Pi 3B+
Maiana ais app v2.1.2
Signal K v1.44.0
Serial v2.2.3

Thanks team!

Alex
(2022-08-30, 03:45 PM)Alex Bigwood Wrote: Hello all - Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here?

Have installed maiana as per directions (via USB), app will not connect to the device and remains in a constant state of trying to read device settings. Note: in the setup directions, it recommends 'remember device' by over 'remember port,' however It will not give me the option and automatically opts to 'remember port.' Not sure if this makes much difference?

Signal K error reads as "permission denied, cannot connect to /devttyOP_maiana"

have reinstalled several times, updated all apps etc. No luck.

Pi 3B+
Maiana ais app v2.1.2
Signal K v1.44.0
Serial v2.2.3

Thanks team!

Alex

When I built the antenna I tested it on another boats Pi, before I set mine up. Could this perhaps be the issue, where the antenna is configured to another Pi??

Attached Files Image(s)

It seems that you do not have permissions to read from USB but that is really strange if you are using an OpenPlotter 2 image. Did you modify anything?

could you send us an screenshot of the openplotter-serial app configuration?

any reason to use OP 2 instead of OP 3?
(2022-08-31, 05:56 PM)Sailoog Wrote: It seems that you do not have permissions to read from USB but that is really strange if you are using an OpenPlotter 2 image. Did you modify anything?

could you send us an screenshot of the openplotter-serial app configuration?

any reason to use OP 2 instead of OP 3?

Hey! Thankyou for getting back to me :-)

No reason other than I was given the Pi by a sailor passing through, and I picked it up and ran with it as it seemed functional. Happy to update as required. I really only have the Pi for the AIS function at this time. I have not modified anything, the previous owner may have - unknown.

I believe this image is what your after?

Attached Files Image(s)

wait, I can see that you do not have a USB connection defined, you have a UART connection (Raspberry pins) but the UART interface is disabled and that does not make sense. This system has been manually modified, so instead of wasting your time figuring out and fixing those changes I recommend you to start from a fresh OpenPlotter 3 image and follow the manual:

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3....uring.html
(2022-09-01, 10:24 AM)Sailoog Wrote: wait, I can see that you do not have a USB connection defined, you have a UART connection (Raspberry pins) but the UART interface is disabled and that does not make sense. This system has been manually modified, so instead of wasting your time figuring out and fixing those changes I recommend you to start from a fresh OpenPlotter 3 image and follow the manual:

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3....uring.html

Done - updates as well. Installed Maiana as per directions.

Maiana AIS App "Cannot connect to the device, try again"

Signal K error status "Could not locate bindings file"

Terminal:

pi@openplotter:~ $ openplotter-maiana

(openplotter-maiana:3191): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 15:20:46.058: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar

(openplotter-maiana:3191): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 15:20:46.584: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar
I need more details. Is the issue fixed?

you can ignore Gtk-CRITICAL errors

where do you see?: Signal K error status "Could not locate bindings file"
(2022-09-02, 07:30 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I need more details. Is the issue fixed?

you can ignore Gtk-CRITICAL errors

where do you see?: Signal K error status "Could not locate bindings file"

Fair enough! Sorry I'm new at this :-)

Issue is not fixed. Good to know about Gtk-Critical errors!

The message "Could not find bindings file. Tried: → /usr/lib/node_modules/signalk-serv..." is seen on the Signal K Server Dashboard 'Server and plugin status' page area.

Essentially, when connecting the Maiana device in Serial, SIgnal K and Maiana App, it ll happens as the instructions prescribe. Then when I hit refresh on the Maiana App where it should connect to the device and start seeing data appear, it says in red at the bottom left of the page "Cannot connect to the device, try again."
Are you connecting the MAIANA by USB or by UART?

could you send screenshots of the serial app, the signal k connections page and the maiana app to confirm?
Hi,
Just came a cross this topic by searching for a solution for which I consider a very similar issue:
Maiana App reports "Cannot connect with the device, try again".
I added the screenshots of my system as requested in the reply before.
Any idea what's going wrong?
I started the Maiana App with debug on from the console but besides the gtk messages nothing appears when pressing "Refresh"