This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
openplotter-pypilot 3.x.x beta released
I just cloned https://github.com/pypilot/openplotter-pypilot onto a brand new openplotter 3 image and installed it with sudo python3 setup.py install, and it ran without any major surprises - as systemd services, and the hat service starting without hat hardware. Service can also be started manually, and I could also run pypilot at the prompt for debugging purposes. So it had everything I expected!

Only things were that
- Bottom bar check mentioned that 'hardware serial needed to be enabled', even though I had enabled it in raspi-config and rebooted afterwards. This needed to be done in openplotter-serial (UART0), but the message was not clear.
- There were 3 access request in signalk, but only 1 worked ('ip': '::ffff:192.168.178.96'). Note that I have eth0 connected and tcp6 present in my home network.
- There was a recurring error in the on-screen build log that looked ugly (see below). I don't like errors that I should ignore. False negatives lead to ignoring true negatives.
- I could not scroll back in the on-screen build log nor copy text from it.

But the bottom line is that from my point I can definitely see convergence. Keep up the good work!

[Image: 191850350-ce8ca22d-157e-4142-a1b1-05f492806dcc.png]

[Image: 191849990-b891f055-8172-4059-a19f-31d1e6953f83.png]
I have seen the TCSAFLUSH... not sure exactly what causes it, but it is a warning not an error.

the build log needs to prevent user input or moving the cursor...
These issues you found were expected but your test give me more clues, thanks ironman. Hopefully I can clean it this weekend.

I may be wrong but through raspi-config I think you enable/disable UART1 (a virtual interface), not UART0. I do not have a Raspi right now to test.

After switching back to systemd, pypilot now starts before the global token management and pypilot makes its own requests. It can be fixed.
I'm not sure why pypilot should not make its own requests?

It is preferable that pypilot start quickly... sometimes the autopilot is needed.
Because the openplotter way is more eficient, it is integrated with other apps and guides the user to get the connection at each step. Do not worry pypilot will start just as fast as now. No delays believe me.
Sorry, I meant the startup speed being related to using systemd.

Let me know if any changes need to be made in pypilot to regarding tokens. Which other applications use signalk tokens that the "global token management" handles? I can disable token management in pypilot with a command line switch if needed.
(2022-09-24, 08:43 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Sorry, I meant the startup speed being related to using systemd.

Let me know if any changes need to be made in pypilot to regarding tokens.   Which other applications use signalk tokens that the "global token management" handles?   I can disable token management in pypilot with a command line switch if needed.

The "global token management" system can detect all the states of the request and will guide users to the next step: pending, error, repeat, permissions, approved, validated.

Any openplotter app that needs connect to SK server uses this system. The startup/checking openplotter process checks all apps connections:

The openplotter-notifications app will show this window when any other app makes a requests:

I have just tested and this system can be implemented over the pypilot token management , no need to disable it.
A new openplotter-pypilot 3.2.4-beta has been published with all your changes applied and clean code. Right now the "IMU only" mode does not send data to the Signak k server, let me know what you decided for this and I will apply it to the next version if any change is required in openplotter-pypilot app.

I have found these issues:

A. pypilot_boatimu and pypilot services are writing lots of these entries to syslog even without being enabled:

Sep 25 11:22:29 openplotter systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/pypilot.service:10: Standard output type syslog is obsolete, automatically updating to journal. Please update your unit file, and consider removing the setting altogether.
Sep 25 11:22:29 openplotter systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/pypilot_boatimu.service:10: Standard output type syslog is obsolete, automatically updating to journal. Please update your unit file, and consider removing the setting altogether.

B. pypilot_web is trying to read/write a wrong path for conf file:

Sep 25 11:25:48 openplotter pypilot_web[4075]: os not supported
Sep 25 11:25:48 openplotter pypilot_web[4075]: failed to read config file: /.pypilot/pypilot_client.conf [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/.pypilot/pypilot_client.conf'

C. This is critical. pypilot_hat is writing a huge amount of these lines when there is not hat detected:

Sep 25 11:29:00 openplotter pypilot_hat[4278]: WARNING Failed to add edge detection
Sep 25 11:29:00 openplotter pypilot_hat[4278]: retrying to setup gpio with edge detect...

D. pypilot_hat is not started at port 33333 when hat is not present, probably related to C.

E. when autopilot is enabled:

Sep 25 11:52:01 openplotter pypilot[138]: ERROR loading wind.py cannot import name 'HeadingOffset' from partially initialized module 'pypilot.autopilot' (most likely due to a circular import) (/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/pypilot/autopilot.py)   cannot import name 'HeadingOffset' from partially initialized module 'pypilot.autopilot' (most likely due to a circular import) (/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/pypilot/autopilot.py)

EDITED: I have not tested if this serial issue has been fixed, it should be also added to the list: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread....2#pid23622
Hello Sailoog!

I still don't see a way to install pypilot in the "latest" version of Openplotter that is available on the link.

Am I that stupid, or is there something wrong with the Openplotter Headless, still after all the complaints and "fixes"?

Thanks for reply,

Gennady
(2022-09-19, 12:43 PM)ironman Wrote: If that's ok with you two guys, I'll update the workbook with the openplotter release as first option, mentioning Sean's github as good alternative and identifying the differences, pros and cons for the time being, pending the merge.

Whereas I saw the openplotter distribution as a good learning experience, and the tinypilot distribution as the only reliable solution to go out sailing with, the deck has been somewhat shuffled, now pizero's are practically impossible to get. An openplotter instance on a pi4 with only pypilot on it seems to become the de facto way to build a pypilot system in these days. Drawbacks are obviously the windowing UI and the OS usage of the SD-card, resulting in decreased reliability and much increased power consumption. Am I the only one to see this, or are there other options that are worth mentioning?

Hi Ironman!

As I understand, you're the author of the workbook. So my question is: is step #6, about Arduino (https://github.com/pypilot/workbook/wiki...controller) to be ignored, if I bought a hat from Sean's Web store?

Thanks for answer,

Gennady,
A sailor in New York