This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have a look: Schematics for the new version of my PyPilot build
Hello all,

I've been continuing to work (very slowly due to time constraints) on my standalone PyPilot and motor controller autopilot.  

My previous builds can be seen here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kWuzHooS4Fmwunc19

My newest build is smaller and designed to go in this waterproof box.

https://www.newark.com/serpac/rbf63p06c1...p/64AH1876

Here's a render of the new design:

[Image: AL9nZEW6aX7ZxIq7uqaI9aj3NTAV6AeIIt6bUl9A...authuser=0]

The board serves as a holder and interconnect for an RPi Zero W, an LCD screen (Nokia or JLX), a buck converter, reverse polarity and transient protection, EEPROM, IMU, a keypad an a VNH5019 motor driver.  The board also has one ATmega328 to do motor control and sensing, and one for NMEA/buzzer/IR/RF and light sense.

A big salute to @seandepagnier for PyPilot and making the project open source.  Although I haven't copied his schematics, my design is clearly heavily indebted to his design ideas, and is designed to be PyPilot-compatible with minimal code changes. 

I haven't actually built it yet, but I'm planning to in the next few weeks.  I still have a few more enhancements to make.  I thought meanwhile that I'd share the schematic.  If it's useful to others, that's great.  If anyone wants to comment, that's great too.  I'm not an electronics engineer, and there's lots of areas where I'm only guessing what to do, or borrowing blindly from the web posts of others.  The license of my schematics is the same as for @seandepagnier's schematics, whatever that license is.

My original proof-of-concept schematic, with no fault detection, no feedback, and no protection for the Pi is here:

https://forum.openmarine.net/attachment.php?aid=1078

My latest revised multipage version is here:

.pdf   ozhelm-schem-20220911a.pdf (Size: 567.51 KB / Downloads: 257)

For ease of reading I might post these pages here as separate images, if anyone asks.

Wishing you all smooth sailing!
(2022-09-11, 05:00 AM)CapnKernel Wrote: Hello all,

I've been continuing to work (very slowly due to time constraints) on my standalone PyPilot and motor controller autopilot.  

My previous builds can be seen here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kWuzHooS4Fmwunc19

My newest build is smaller and designed to go in this waterproof box.

https://www.newark.com/serpac/rbf63p06c1...p/64AH1876

[Image: AL9nZEW6aX7ZxIq7uqaI9aj3NTAV6AeIIt6bUl9A...authuser=0]

The board serves as a holder and interconnect for an RPi Zero W, an LCD screen (Nokia or JLX), a buck converter, reverse polarity and transient protection, EEPROM, IMU, a keypad an a VNH5019 motor driver.  The board also has one ATmega328 to do motor control and sensing, and one for NMEA/buzzer/IR/RF and light sense.

A big salute to @seandepagnier for PyPilot and making the project open source.  Although I haven't copied his schematics, my design is clearly heavily indebted to his design ideas, and is designed to be PyPilot-compatible with minimal code changes. 

I haven't actually built it yet, but I'm planning to in the next few weeks.  I still have a few more enhancements to make.  I thought meanwhile that I'd share the schematic.  If it's useful to others, that's great.  If anyone wants to comment, that's great too.  I'm not an electronics engineer, and there's lots of areas where I'm only guessing what to do, or borrowing blindly from the web posts of others.  The license of my schematics is the same as for @seandepagnier's schematics, whatever that license is.

My original proof-of-concept schematic, with no fault detection, no feedback, and no protection for the Pi is here:

https://forum.openmarine.net/attachment.php?aid=1078

My latest revised multipage version is here:

For ease of reading I might post these pages here as separate images, if anyone asks.

Wishing you all smooth sailing!

Beautiful card, will it be possible to have one?  Cool Smile
(2022-09-11, 12:40 PM)Max1947 Wrote:
CapnKernel Wrote:I've been continuing to work (very slowly due to time constraints) on my standalone PyPilot and motor controller autopilot.  

Beautiful card

Thank you.  I've probably spent more than 150 hours on the layout and parts selection, but it doesn't really show.  I think I'm definitely going four layers on the next version.  Routing the tracks on this one has just been too hard.

(2022-09-11, 12:40 PM)Max1947 Wrote: Will it be possible to have one?  Cool Smile

I can't say.  For a start, I think my priority should be on producing something that works, because at the moment it's just vapourware!  And given that I have very limited time, that may be some time away.  I just finished a six-month maintenance period on my boat, and I still need to rebuild the engine, so I may not have this new version working until this time next year.  Don't hold your breath.

Pics of the maintenance, if anyone's interested: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8vrsfyxK8hnegq4S7

I also think that people who want to support PyPilot should buy directly from @seandepagnier, or others who have his blessing.  I'd only consider selling these if I had his blessing.  His products are tested, proven, and supported, and I think we owe him our support in turn.
(2022-09-11, 01:16 PM)CapnKernel Wrote:
(2022-09-11, 12:40 PM)Max1947 Wrote:
CapnKernel Wrote:Ho continuato a lavorare (molto lento a causa dei limiti di tempo) sul mio PyPilot autonomo e sul pilota automatico del controller del motore.  

Ecco un rendering del nuovo design:

Bella carta

Grazie. Ho più dedicato di 150 ore al layout e alla selezione delle parti, ma in realtà non si vede. Penso che andrò sicuramente a quattro livelli nella prossima versione. Instradare le tracce su questo è stato semplicemente troppo difficile.

(2022-09-11, 12:40 PM)Max1947 Wrote: Sarà possibile averne uno?  Cool Smile

non posso dire. Per iniziare, penso che la mia priorità dovrebbe essere quella di produrre che funzioni, perché al momento si tratta solo di vaporware! E dato che ho un tempo molto limitato, potrebbe volerci un po' di tempo. Ho appena terminato un periodo di manutenzione di sei mesi sulla mia barca e ho ancora bisogno di ricostruire il motore, quindi questa nuova versione potrebbe non fino a questo momento l'anno prossimo. Non trattenere il respiro.

Foto della manutenzione, se qualcuno è interessato: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8vrsfyxK8hnegq4S7

Penso anche che le persone che vogliono supportare PyPilot dovrebbero acquistare direttamente da @seandepagnier, o altri che hanno la sua benedizione. Prenderei in considerazione la vendita di questi solo se la sua benedizione. I suoi prodotti sono testati, testati e supportati e penso che a sua volta gli dobbiamo il nostro supporto.
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Ho già comprato un abito da Sean e funziona benissimo. Dato che ho alcuni pezzi in giro e volevo costruirne uno tagliando il filo. Buon lavoro comunque e teniamoci in contatto e buon vento, sempre![/color]

I already bought a suit from Sean and it works great. Since I have a few pieces lying around and I wanted to build one by cutting the thread. Good work anyway and let's keep in touch and good wind, always!