This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem installing V3 with moitessier HAT
Hi,
I'm about to give up... I've been trying to install the V3 version on a raspberry 4B 8 gig ram with a moitessier HAT

Files I used:
2022-07-18-OpenPlotter-v3-Starting-stable-64bit.img but there is no md5sum to check it
After booting, I run

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Now Open plotter is booting and I'm able to check the config:

Code:
Checking NTP server... | not running
Checking Power off management... | disabled
Checking Shutdown management... | disabled
Checking OpenPlotter autostart... | enabled
Checking rescue mode... | disabled
Checking debugging mode... | disabled
Checking system log file size... | System log file size: 1.02 MB
Checking OpenPlotter packages source... | added
Checking serial connections alias... | All your serial connections have an assigned alias
Checking OpenCPN... | not running | autostart disabled
Checking Signal K server... | running
Checking serial connections conflicts... | no conflicts
Checking network connections conflicts... | no conflicts
Checking GPIO conflicts... | no conflicts
CHECK SYSTEM FINISHED

So far so good but When I tried to install the driver of the moitessier HAT with this file moitessier_1.20220328_bullseye_5.15.30_3.0.0_armhf.deb from here
https://www.rooco.eu/2018/06/13/firmware...ssier-hat/

with this command

Code:
root@plotter-1:~# dpkg -i /root/moitessier_1.20220328_bullseye_5.15.30_3.0.0_armhf.deb

And I get this message:
Code:
root@plotter-1:/var/log# dpkg -i /root/moitessier_1.20220328_bullseye_5.15.30_3.0.0_armhf.deb
Selecting previously unselected package moitessier:armhf.
(Reading database ... 95377 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../moitessier_1.20220328_bullseye_5.15.30_3.0.0_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking moitessier:armhf (3.0.0) ...
Setting up moitessier:armhf (3.0.0) ...

******************************************************************************************
Running post install...
******************************************************************************************

/etc/systemd/system/moitessier.shutdown.service
[Unit]
Description=Moitessier Shutdown

[Service]
ExecStart=/home/pi/moitessier/scripts/system_shutdown
Restart=always

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Setting up interfaces...

moitessier: setting up /etc/modules
i2c-dev

Updating HAT firmware...

This script is used to flash the STM32 microcontroller on the Moitessier HAT.

One of the following options can be applied:
    -r : Will load the latest firmware release from the remote repository https://github.com/mr-rooney/moitessier-firmware.git.
         The firmware will be located in "./fw/application.binary".
    -s : Specifies the firmware that should be used.
         This option requires the path + filename as parameter
    -f : Forces the Raspberry Pi to shutdown after firmware update. A shutdown + power cycle
         is required only for virgin Moitessier HATs without any firmware.

Note: Options -s and -r must not be applied at the same time!!

Determining I2C GPIO device

I2C GPIO device: 3

The firmware file "application.binary" is used for the update

Terminating running processes...

"kplex" not running

"gpsd" not running

"opencpn" not running

"node" killed

Flashing firmware.

ERROR occured!!

File ./stm32flash_5.15.32-v8+ does not exist

ERROR occured!!

Flashing firmware failed.

ERROR occured!!

An error occured, we will retry.

"kplex" not running

"gpsd" not running

"opencpn" not running

"node" killed

Flashing firmware.

ERROR occured!!

ERROR occured!!

ERROR occured!!

"kplex" not running

"gpsd" not running

"opencpn" not running

"node" killed

Flashing firmware.

ERROR occured!!

ERROR occured!!

ERROR occured!!

"kplex" not running

"gpsd" not running

"opencpn" not running

"node" killed

Flashing firmware.

ERROR occured!!

ERROR occured!!

ERROR occured!!

"kplex" not running

"gpsd" not running

"opencpn" not running

"node" killed

Flashing firmware.

ERROR occured!!

ERROR occured!!

ERROR occured!!

ERROR occured!!

FIRMWARE UPDATE FAILED!!!

ERROR occured!!

You might try to install the package again.

dpkg: error processing package moitessier:armhf (--install):
 installed moitessier:armhf package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 moitessier:armhf
root@plotter-1:/var/log#

Anybody has an idea why the driver fail to install?

Thanks ya all.
That moitessier driver is only for 32bits, we will try to contact to rooco devs to publish both 64 and 32 bit drivers for the last bullseye kernel.

We forgot to add cheksums for the images, sorry Smile

We are sailing right now and we will back to work in September.
I have the same configuration as the OP, spazio, but with 32bit OS (armv7l). I got the same error message. I subsequently installed stm32flash from the package manager and I still get the same error message. If I am understanding correctly that the install script is trying to execute a file and not a command from a dependency, there was really no reason for me to believe installing the flash utility would would help(and it is also a totally different version), but I couldn't think of anything else to try. But the problem is definitely not with the OS version. stm32flash should run under 64bit OS and it doesn't work under 32bit OS either. I think the "File ./stm32flash_5.15.32-v8+" is missing from the package. ...but I also barely know what I am talking about so maybe it is some other problem with the install script.

As an added bonus: now whenever I try to install something from openplotter-settings it gets stuck in a loop trying to install moitessier for a long time before it gives up.

Does anyone happen to know what the last working version of OpenPlotter for moitessier HAT2 was and where I can download that image? I found lots of broken links when I looked.

my system:
breezer@krystyna:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="11"
VERSION="11 (bullseye)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye
ID=raspbian
breezer@krystyna:~ $ uname -a
Linux krystyna 5.15.61-v7l+ #1579 SMP Fri Aug 26 11:13:03 BST 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux
You need to wait for the drivers from rooco to be published for latest bullseye kernel for 32 and 64bit:
https://www.rooco.eu/2018/06/13/firmware...ssier-hat/

the last working image for OpenPlotter 2:
https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/2....ading.html
Hey Sailoog, thanks for replying, but we ARE using the v3 moitessier package from that very website as spazio said in the OP. I think it is missing a file or there is some other problem with the install script. Is there something else I can do to help before I roll back to v2?
There is not problem or missing file. The kernel version of your system must match the version of the driver (and the architecture 32/64bit) from rooco site. If there is no driver for your kernel yet, you have to wait.

We are already working on openplotter-i2c v3.x.x app, the next one will be openplotter-moitessier v3.x.x app. After both are stable we will publish new OpenPlotter 3 images for the Moitessier HAT containing the right drivers.:

https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3878