This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LCD Problems
Hello,
I've just performed a fresh install of Pypilot (tinypilot_2021_11_16.img.xz).  Everything boots ok, and I get the 'splash screen' showing that I'm at version 0.32.  But then the screen goes blank, and doesn't display anything.  I can use the web interface and everything seems to be running correctly.

I've had a look around, and my lcddriver file (.pypilot/lcddriver) contains nokia5110, which looks right.

There are 4 instances of hat.py running:

tc@pypilot:/mnt/mmcblk0p2/.pypilot$ ps -ef | grep -i hat
  579 root     runsv pypilot_hat
  587 tc       svlogd -tt /var/log/pypilot_hat
 1028 root     {python3.6} pypilot_hat /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pypilot/hat/hat.py
 1369 root     {python3.6} pypilot_hat /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pypilot/hat/hat.py
 1373 root     {python3.6} pypilot_hat /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pypilot/hat/hat.py
 1374 root     {python3.6} pypilot_hat /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pypilot/hat/hat.py
 4153 tc       grep -i hat

And I've tried running pypilot_hat, and get an error message when its trying to load /proc/device-tree/hat/cutom-0 and an error about the firmware not being where it was expected.

tc@pypilot:/mnt/mmcblk0p2/.pypilot$ sudo pypilot_hat
hat start 1845.209026
have gpio for raspberry pi
hat import done 1845.651568
loading config file: /home/tc/.pypilot/hat.conf
failed to load /proc/device-tree/hat/custom_0 : [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/proc/device-tree/hat/custom_0'
lcd process on 4164
lcd driver jlx12864 False False
set language en
hat init complete 1847.06688
arduino process on 4165
socket send took too long!?!? localhost 0.031294000000116284 112
hat firmware not in /home/tc/.pypilot/hat.hex
skipping verification
arduino on spidev0.1
warning, failed to make hat web process idle, trying renice
web process 4166
web failed to run process: [Errno 98] Address already in use: ('0.0.0.0', 33333)
warning, failed to make hat web process idle, trying renice

I've had a quick google around but can't find any clues.  Does anyone have any ideas where I should look next?

Cheers
Dez
Hi,

/home/tc/pypilot/hat.conf -> change jlx12864 into nokia5110 ?
Hello,
That's magic. Thank you.

I had looked in the /home/tc/.pipilot/hat.conf but clearly not hard enough. A quick update and reboot, and it's looking great.

Thank you.
Thanks, I think the newest image defaults to jlx12864, sorry.
Hi diverdezzy, I'm trying to get the new image running on TinyPilot. How did you look around?
"I've had a look around, and my lcddriver file (.pypilot/lcddriver) contains nokia5110, which looks right."

I have the Nokia display and need to make the same changes to the hat.conf file. Sorry for the basic question.
Hello,
It's a bit tricky to read, but the driver is listed towards the end of the hat.conf file. If you read from the end of the file backwards, then you'll see the following tags:

"arduino":{"device":"\/dev\/spidev0.1","resetpin":16,"hardware":0.26},"lirc":"gpio4"}
"lcd":{"driver":"jlx12864","port":"\/dev\/spidev0.0"}

Just swap the "jlx12864" for "nokia5110" and you should be golden. Mine now looks like this:

"lcd":{"driver":"nokia5110","port":"\/dev\/spidev0.0"}

Best of luck!