This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mosfet - clutch delay on release
hi,

I've implemented the LR7843 mosfet module for engaging the clutch on my raymarine drive. And when I put the pypilot in standby, it takes about 5 seconds to relaese the clutch. The activation light on the module is also still on for about 5 seconds. It seems that the mosfet module is still active for 5 seconds, after the standby command is given.

Has this something to do with the type of mosfet?

oh, by the way, when I engage the pypilot, it reacts instantly...

link to mosfet used: LINK

Regards,
Wouter
Can you confirm where the delay comes from? Is there an led or? 5 seconds is very long. If you manually use a switch (no pypilot not software) does it have a delay?
Hi. 
I have the same issue. No big deal, really. But when I disengage the AP, it takes some seconds until the clutch opens. I have installed a manual "emergency switch" that cuts the power to the motor controller in case of communication/remote control issues. When I use this switch, the valve opens immediately.

I also do have the impression (although not systematically verified), that the delay time is influenced by the value of the servo.max_slew_slow and/or servo.max_slew_speed in the configuration menu.
(2022-09-30, 01:17 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Can you confirm where the delay comes from?    Is there an led or?   5 seconds is very long.    If you manually use a switch (no pypilot not software) does it have a delay?

I didn't do additional testing yet of were this comes from. Only that the mosfet module works without delay if I connect this to a switch.

I'll try to connect the pypilot to a separate arduino nano. And just put a led (only a led) on the clutch pin an ground. To see if this also occurs when nothing else is connected.

Keep you posted..

Regards, 
Wouter
I tried this on my tinypilot. When increasing the servo.period parameter to 2.5 seconds, it takes ages (>5 sec) for the clutch to disengage. I don't know if this is to be expected/normal, but. I do think that it is a software issue, since the "Sync Engaged" status remains active until the clutch releases.
Thanks for the feedback.

There is a timeout... It is in the code "self.command_timeout > self.period.value*3"

This feature is not well optimized since I don't have a clutch on my own boats, sorry.

What it is doing, is enabling the clutch for manual control, or autopilot control. It only disengages the clutch if in manual control 3 times the period from the time the last movement was made.

I agree that this is obviously bad logic and wrong. I will update in future versions to immediately disengage when the pilot is disabled. I guess this could potentially interfere if you tried to make manual control immediately after disabling the ap (to dodge something or whatever) as it would have to re-engage, so this is the main issue, and it needs to at least not click the clutch off and on when using the dodge buttons. So a simple change is not simple, but I will find a way to make it work better.
Sounds good, Sean.
And yes. There has been some seconds of nervousness, waiting for regaining manual control...
It will be greatly improved in the next version.

I recommend you install a manual switch on the clutch regardless for safety reasons.
(2022-10-02, 05:22 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: It will be greatly improved in the next version.

I recommend you install a manual switch on the clutch regardless for safety reasons.

I have a manual switch. In case of communication/remote control issues. My switch is basically cutting power to the motor controller, but leaves the Pypilot computer on.
(2022-10-03, 12:00 PM)kniven Wrote:
(2022-10-02, 05:22 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: It will be greatly improved in the next version.

I have a manual switch. In case of communication/remote control issues. My switch is basically cutting power to the motor controller, but leaves the Pypilot computer on.

Indeed, this seems like a good failsafe anyway. I already ordered somethin waterproof to fit besides the helm..