This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make physical custom keys to OpenCpn
I would like to have some physical custom keys on top of my new OpenPlotter nav-station. I got a 13" touch screen but find the touching the "buttons" on OpenCpn is too fiddly for me. I would lika a row of 4-8 keys with direct access to zoom, follow-toggle, shift-click and perhaps some more functions. I don´t have any issues with waterproofing since this is indoors on an old tug-boat. I don´t want an full-size keyboard since it is a cramped space.

Should I go directly do GPIO-pins on the RPi or through USB? Are ordinary pushbuttons or keyboard switches (like this: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4980) best?

Any ideas, pics. or links to projects are very welcome!

/Lars
I'd probably just start with a programmable keypad and wire out the keys to something waterproof. You could then program the shortcut keys in Linux.
Thanks for tip - (sorry late reply - missed the notification email)
You mean an ordinary usb-keypad and then wire out those keys? Seems like a very neat solution. I´ll check it out - thanks!