This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAV mode vs GPS mode
It may seem obvious but I am considering distinctions and am looking for some feedback.

If in the upcoming NAV mode, a heading change command such as +10 or -10 is sent to the autopilot, the pilot will switch to GPS mode automatically. This will make dodging possible when following routes. The question then is... should it revert to NAV mode after a timeout? I am thinking the answer is no, but this could be a default and by option a timeout could be supported.

Another timeout if no APB message is received for say 20 seconds it would switch to GPS mode. Depending on other settings it may stay in GPS mode even if APB messages arrive in the future...

As far as automatically switching to NAV mode when a route is enabled (or if APB message is received again) It can currently be avoided by changing the talkerid to GP but I am thinking that by default it will not do this anymore. Instead changing the talkerid of the APB message could be used to enable this feature if in GPS mode, or even in any mode (to make activating a route have the least interaction required to follow it if this is desired as is default currently) What do you think? Should it do this just if APB starts arriving, or also a timeout from course change out of NAV mode? It seems it should not do this if a manual mode change to GPS mode is explicitly applied. Any comments on exact behavior here?

I was thinking initially to support the option of disabling GPS mode if NAV mode is available (so both modes would not be available at the same time if this option is configured) to reduce the number of modes to toggle through using the mode button, but I am not sure it is a big deal and I also think the above options to automatically switch to NAV mode in the desired circumstances would alleviate this.

Sorry to make it sound confusing, but I think its not hard to implement once I know what it should actually do! Please give me some feedback on this.