This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antenna on TinyPilot
The antenna (black wire) has broken off my TinyPilot.  The solder joint was dry or weak.  What is the antenna for and where does it attach?  The PiZero seems to have an antenna built in for WiFi so I don't understand what this wire is for, where it should attach or whether it is really necessary.
sorry... the antenna attaches to the last pin on the RF receiver board which is marked ANT.

It is used for the 433mhz wireless remote control. It may work without the antenna but the range is not as good.
Thanks Sean. I'll solder it back on. The wireless remote is useful.

The IR remote has better functionality but I don't find it as useful because I have to be looking at TinyPilot to make sure it received the signal. Someone looking at the chart plotter is between me and TinyPilot and it's disconcerting not knowing whether the course has changed or not.
what is the better function of the IR remote? Do you mean it has more buttons? The newer wireless remote all have 8 buttons.

The IR remote can sometimes bounce off walls, but I agree it is not as convenient.
I have a 4 button wireless remote.  I'd love an 8 button remote.  Where can I get one?
I offer on my store. I am also working on some custom 10 and 11 button remotes but they wont be ready until 2023.

You can also use many different 433mhz remotes you can find online.