This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Initial calibration requirements
Hi all,

Getting ready to (finally) deploy pyPilot in its TinyPilot form.
Reading up on the approaches to mounting and calibrating.

I read in the Pypilot Workbook that the only thing that is required is to hit "Boat is Level" when the boat is nice and stable.
Is there anything additional required beyond that? The Workbook continues to explain that Pypilot will recognise the boat turning and tune itself from there. Does that happen automatically and in standby mode?

Another reason I ask, is that I read this in Sean's pypilot.org Wiki and wasn't sure what exactly it was referring to.
The sensors (or box they are mounted in) must be un-mounted so they are not attached to anything. Carefully place the sensors on each of the 6 sides of a box (+- 10 degrees will do) the actual orientation is not critical, so long as enough measurements can be taken to fit a sphere. Leave the sensors in each position for a few seconds.

Any guidance from someone who has already done it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Placing on the 6 sides is optional to calibrate the accelerometers. Depending on the intertial sensors this may or may not be needed. I have not seen icm20948 that require it, but may mpu9255 did. Any other sensors are not going to work as well anyway and likely require it.
When using pypilot hat for the first time,I had to turn the boat 360 degrees to calibrate it fyi

Otherwise, it would slowly drift and continually turn in one direction