This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How install pypilot_ray ?
Hello everyone, I have pypilot which works well under OpenPlotter, but I would very much like to try Ironman's Pypilot_ray. I cloned the pypilot_ray folder into the pypilot folder, but I don't know how to install it.
I don't understand :
"- change /etc/sv/pypilot_lcd/run
       exec nice -n 5 chpst python /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tinypilot/pypilot/pypilot_ray/ray.py"
I don't have pypilot_lcd folder in /etc/sv, and my pypilot folder is there: /usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/pypilot/.
If someone could explain to me (with very simple words, I am very beginner) how to do the installation in my configuration which seems not to be that envisaged in the README.md, that would help me a lot. Thanks for your help.
I gave it a try, replaced hat.py with ray.py, after renaming that to hat.py, and it seems to work. Is this somewhat barbaric method correct?
The instructions assumed a tinypilot install, that's why they would make lesser sense on your openplotter. If it works for you, you are far from barbaric, I guess, all is well that ends well.

I wrote this before there was a configurable pypilot_hat; I guess you have seen that it was intended to run in an old st2000. Highly tweaked towards my particular setup, it still serves me every day; I have two of those built; running it with pypilot 0.24; never tested it against a newer version.

Making use of the pypilot_hat service (you don't need to have the Hat hardware to run the service) seems to be the current way to go forward, but if pypilot_ray is working for you, I'd be glad to help out with any questions.
Good evening Marco, first of all, my apologies for the long delay in answering you, but I had minor health problems that kept me away from the boat and the internet. The manipulations that I mentioned in the previous message work perfectly, I perfectly found the ergonomics of my ST3000. It's true that I'm looking for the difficulty by wanting to use a wired keyboard at all costs, but it is the most ergonomic solution for my boat. I want to reproduce the current configuration where you can see in the photos that the white-gray command (Autohelm tinkered by me) in the entrance is accessible both from the chart table with the computer inside and from the winches from outside, for tacking. I'm replacing the old ThinkPad shown in the picture with a Raspberry Pi 4, and I want to replace the Autohelm with Pypilot. For the moment, despite my very limited knowledge, it seems to me that I am on the right track thanks to you. I really want to thank you for sharing Ray.py which really meets my needs. I'm now trying to integrate GPS, IMU and all NMEA 0183 data (Wind, depth, etc) into OpenCPN, but I'm struggling a bit!

The prototype of the keyboard, which works perfectly…

Attached Files Image(s)

Great to hear, love your bespoke setup. Keep us posted.

As you might see in the code there's an option to copy little command files to ray.py, which allows to easily integrate remote solutions. Having said all that, I still think you might be better off investing into the pypilot_hat service, as that service is maintained by Sean and is more likely to work with future updates of pypilot.

[Image: 203993100-257aee94-57ce-4643-ab9a-c127853d3df6.png]

[Image: 203993399-33ab5a5e-813c-418f-8ec3-32b90d7a04d2.png]

[Image: 203993577-32e4657a-9417-4eae-a70f-b4fc71266f1d.png]