This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor controller
Hi all!

I am trying to think of enclosure for the Pypilot. I want to model it in Fusion 360 and 3D print at the place where I work.

Before I design the enclosure, I need to understand the wires sticking out of the Motor Controller (a standard model I bought at the Pypilot store).

I attach a photo of the thing, with 3 arrows pointing at the wires the meaning of which I don't understand.

First wire: "Motor t" - I suppose it is supposed to measure the temperature of the motor. Hence, probably it can be ignored, just tucked somewhere.

Second wire: "End stops". I suppose these are to be placed on the rudder and they should stop the work of the autopilot once it reaches this position. Can anyone recommend (for example a link to Amazon) which end stops are appropriate here? I know of end stops for a 3D printer, but don't know any for an autopilot.

Third wire reads "Rudder". What does that suppose to do? Another end stop? 

Finally, the thing came with a wire that looks like a temperature sensor (I have a similar one from solar panels going to my batteries). Is it to be used?

What about enclosure for Raspberry Pi 4 as an autopilot - did anybody design that? Of course, we're interested in something that is waterproof...

What about the motor itself? The windshield wipers motor doesn't appear as the best option, as the shaft sticking out appears too small to stick anything reliable on it. What did other people use?

Thanks for answers,

Gennady

Attached Files Image(s)

Motor temperature, rudder feedback and end-of-travel are all optional.

You can read some info here https://pypilot.org/wiki/doku.php?id=motor_controller and here https://pypilot.org/opencart/index.php?r...duct_id=50 and here https://pypilot.org/schematics/hbridge_datasheet.htm
(2022-11-20, 10:56 PM)Gennady Wrote: Hi all!

I am trying to think of enclosure for the Pypilot. I want to model it in Fusion 360 and 3D print at the place where I work.
Check out my 3d printed enclosures:
https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot_model..._enclosure

You can modify this or improve it, or just print it. It is not waterproof, it is intended to prevent splash, and dust when mounted in a dry place. It is hard to make FDM 3d prints waterproof.

Quote:Before I design the enclosure, I need to understand the wires sticking out of the Motor Controller (a standard model I bought at the Pypilot store).

I attach a photo of the thing, with 3 arrows pointing at the wires the meaning of which I don't understand.

First wire: "Motor t" - I suppose it is supposed to measure the temperature of the motor. Hence, probably it can be ignored, just tucked somewhere.
Yes, this is for the motor, and the sensor you describe would go with this, normally attached to the motor. It is of course optional.
Quote:Second wire: "End stops". I suppose these are to be placed on the rudder and they should stop the work of the autopilot once it reaches this position. Can anyone recommend (for example a link to Amazon) which end stops are appropriate here? I know of end stops for a 3D printer, but don't know any for an autopilot.
Basically momentary switches with springs, or reed switches (with magnet) as it needs to have enough travel in the switch to stop. It is optional and seldom used especially on smaller boats.
Quote:Third wire reads "Rudder". What does that suppose to do? Another end stop? 
This is rudder feedback which expects an analog voltage that changes based on rudder position, also optional.
Quote:Finally, the thing came with a wire that looks like a temperature sensor (I have a similar one from solar panels going to my batteries). Is it to be used?

What about enclosure for Raspberry Pi 4 as an autopilot - did anybody design that? Of course, we're interested in something that is waterproof...
I am working on a completely waterproof design for the pi zero right now, but do not plan the pi 4 yet.
Quote:What about the motor itself? The windshield wipers motor doesn't appear as the best option, as the shaft sticking out appears too small to stick anything reliable on it. What did other people use?
various linear actuators have been reported to work well. I have one I got on aliexpress which does a good job. The windshield wiper can have things attached to it reliably if you are creative.