This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Openplotter with Minix NEO G41V..?
Dear All,
I've been studying Openplotter for some time, the idea was to set up a Raspberry as head unit for Autohelm St50 series instruments.

Before that happened, I was gifted with a leftover from a friend's work: a Minix NEO G41V-4 Max. Looks very interesting and suitable for the task. But, given my very limited software skills, I think I'm getting crazy well before setting the thing up...
Shall I forget about Openplotter and look for else?  Sad 

Or somebody has tried that?

Thank You, and Cheers!

Alessandro
(2022-11-25, 06:32 PM)ANF Wrote: Dear All,
I've been studying Openplotter for some time, the idea was to set up a Raspberry as head unit for Autohelm St50 series instruments.

Before that happened, I was gifted with a leftover from a friend's work: a Minix NEO G41V-4 Max. Looks very interesting and suitable for the task. But, given my very limited software skills, I think I'm getting crazy well before setting the thing up...
Shall I forget about Openplotter and look for else?  Sad 

Or somebody has tried that?

Thank You, and Cheers!

Alessandro

If you keep windows as an operating system then don't think Openplotter will be able to be installed, need Linux for that. 
But..... you shoud be able to install signalk which is extremely powerful on it's own. 

Not quite sure what 'head unit for Autohelm St50 series instruments' actually means?
Sorry for the late reply, somehow I'm not getting notes for replies.
Windows goes out of the window (pun intended) as soon as I get any new pc. So, it's going to be on Linux as usual.

The boat has a full array of St50s, and I'm keeping them all. But it's just instruments, no plotter: so there must be something else "thinking on their behalf". That's what I intend using the Minix for...
(2022-11-29, 04:42 PM)ANF Wrote: Sorry for the late reply, somehow I'm not getting notes for replies.
Windows goes out of the window (pun intended) as soon as I get any new pc. So, it's going to be on Linux as usual.

The boat has a full array of St50s, and I'm keeping them all. But it's just instruments, no plotter: so there must be something else "thinking on their behalf". That's what I intend using the Minix for...

Even without openplotter, signalk & opencpn make an extremely powerful system.

A big benefit of using openplotter is it sets up all the software repositories on Linux to ensure the right versions that play nicely together get installed, that part might actually run on any machine, not sure. 

But with that machine you should be able to set up an extremely useful system.
I'd like to have a full Openplotter setup, even if there's a learning curve for it. Maybe others will find that useful, too.

https://www.linuxlookup.com/review/minix...v_4_review
For sure it' working with Linux (Ubuntu 19.10 with 5.3 kernel was used in the review above)
ASA I receive the machine I will start some testing.
(2022-12-01, 05:04 PM)ANF Wrote: I'd like to have a full Openplotter setup, even if there's a learning curve for it. Maybe others will find that useful, too.

https://www.linuxlookup.com/review/minix...v_4_review
For sure it' working with Linux (Ubuntu 19.10 with 5.3 kernel was used in the review above)
ASA I receive the machine I will start some testing.

Some of openplotter is Raspberry Pi specific with gpio pins, different ARM chip and other stuff so not sure it's possible to get everything, someone else might be around who has done similar. Looks like a nice machine though, good price  Cool Big Grin