This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marinas and insurance
Hi, fellow community of sailors!

I have a question which is perhaps off topic, but nevertheless important for me.

My situation is following: I bought a boat in Maine last year. Last winter I stored it on land over the winter. This year, as I am living in the United States because of the war in Ukraine. And I have my boat on water in Brooklyn, New York.

My biggest fear is that water will freeze in the through hulls, the fittings will bust, and the boat will start sinking. I have a number of pumps ready, but still...

So, I started looking for a possibility of getting an emergency lift out of the water, a "short haul", or even winter storage. One marina (Morgan Marina in New Jersey) agreed to store the boat for the winter, but asked for insurance on the boat.

My boat is kind of old (a Vindo, made in 1974), and hence insurance for it, when I was looking for it, ran into a sum around 1500 or 2000 dollars a year. For me, that is a large sum of money. 

So, my questions are: 

1) is there a marina nearby (around New York, preferably near Brooklyn) that will provide an emergency lift out of the water, without an insurance? 

2) If insurance is absolutely necessary (although I am skeptical), what company would charge the least and provide it ASAP? What is your experience with insurance companies?

Thanks for any information,

Gennady,
from Brooklyn, New York.