This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wlan scanner
Hi,

I have 4 sensor controllers attached to the AP of OP3/64bit.
Data is viewed and analyzed by SignalK and InfluxDB.

After updates (SignalK/OP/Raspbian) their IPs tend to change.

Is there any idea to create or attach an IP-scanner for example in the "Addresses and Ports"-section of the "Network"-app ?

wbr,
tjm
With esp32's I set a fixed I address as the device connects to the Pi AP. Is that possible? What sets up the wifi in the sensors?
(2022-12-04, 07:35 PM)PaddyB Wrote: With esp32's I set a fixed I address as the device connects to the Pi AP. Is that possible? What sets up the wifi in the sensors?

Thanks for your answer PaddyB !

The sensors are controlled by Wemos D1 mini-controller, the program of the Wemos is coded by me in C using Platormio-IDE.
The libraries of the IDE establish the wifi connection, the connection function takes SSID and password as parameters.

There is also the possibility to send the IP of the Wemos-controller via SignalK, so my suggestion is not a life or death question.

Just a suggestion, but maybe I am just lazy... Big Grin .

Now I use wifi scanner of my Android phone to check the IPs of the controllers after updates.
And the IPs I need to send control commands via udp to them.

wbr,
tjm
(2022-12-04, 09:35 PM)tjm Wrote: The sensors are controlled by Wemos D1 mini-controller, the program of the Wemos is coded by me in C using Platormio-IDE.
The libraries of the IDE establish the wifi connection, the connection function takes SSID and password as parameters.

sorry , I use micropython now, been a while since I used C. In micropython there's a command to set a fixed IP address. Just one line

self.sta_if.ifconfig((config["IP_Address"], '255.255.255.0', '10.10.10.1', '10.10.10.1'))

guessing it's likely the C library will have similar?
If I were you I would either configure the DHCP server to assign the sensors persistent addresses or have the sensors use unique and persistent mdns hostnames and connect to them via those.

Scanning the network and reassigning their identities manually is not very handy, as you’d have to do that every time addresses change.
(2022-12-05, 07:35 AM)tkurki Wrote: If I were you I would either configure the DHCP server to assign the sensors persistent addresses or have the sensors use unique and persistent mdns hostnames and connect to them via those.

Scanning the network and reassigning their identities manually is not very handy, as you’d have to do that every time addresses change.

OK, thank you both for your advice. 
wbr, 
tjm