This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to connect Openplotter-Pypilot to a second SignalK-Server?
(2023-08-27, 07:18 PM)ironman Wrote:
(2023-08-26, 04:48 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Until there is a navigational program that outputs signalk for route following [...]

AvNav seems to do this already.

indeed AvNav does it and I must correct my earlier entry. AvNav on one Raspberry and Pypilot (Openplotter version) on a second Raspberry work very well together. With the help of the German sailing forum and the developer of AvNav I found a setup that works very well:

AvNav sends $APB and $RMB via its standard socketwriter over port 28628 to the net. A connection must be established in the SignalK server of the Raspberry, on which AvNav runs. This Connection collects the NMEA-0183 data and distributes it over the standard port of the SignalK server (10110) in the network. When installing Openplotter-AvNav, this connection is installed by default.

The SignalK server of the Raspberry running Pypilot must be set to a different port, for example port 3001.  This Server fetches the data from the AvNav SignalK server via Port 10110 including the GPS data ($RMC).

If you want to use the NMEA data generated by Pypilot on the AvNav-SignalK server, you can set up a connection that is set to port 20220. Now you get HDG mag, pitch and roll etc.
If the Pypilot-SignalK-Server additionally sets up a SignalK-connection on the AvNav-SignalK-Server by itself, you should delete it, otherwise GPS- and routing-data could be duplicated and data loops could be formed.

My initial errors were once that both SignalK servers worked on the same port. Then I set up test connections too unsystematically and lost track of the signal flow…

..and I hope, I have expressed myself reasonably understandable...