This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Moitessier HAT developers abandon users
Exclamation 
After much insistence, I think we can say that the Moitessier HAT project is definitely dead. After promising that the project would be transferred or that the sources would be released, none of this has happened.

Worst of all, no driver updates for Debian bullseye have been released leaving hundreds of users with expensive useless devices. We had a great partnership with the developers from the beginning and this makes the ending that much sadder.

We have always tried to open source all software and hardware from the start without success. Despite the fact that the developers preferred to keep it closed and proprietary, we decided to support it because it was a great product. This has turned out to be a big mistake. Lesson learned.

The current situation goes against all the principles that we promote in OpenMarine so here we are, hacking the project that we ourselves have helped to create...

Following this manual you will be able to run your Moitessier HAT 1 and 2 in OpenPlotter 3.x.x. No more drivers, no more bricked devices after an update:

Hacking the Moitessier HAT 1/2
(2022-12-29, 03:39 PM)Sailoog Wrote: After much insistence, I think we can say that the Moitessier HAT project is definitely dead. After promising that the project would be transferred or that the sources would be released, none of this has happened.

Worst of all, no driver updates for Debian bullseye have been released leaving hundreds of users with expensive useless devices. We had a great partnership with the developers from the beginning and this makes the ending that much sadder.

We have always tried to open source all software and hardware from the start without success. Despite the fact that the developers preferred to keep it closed and proprietary, we decided to support it because it was a great product. This has turned out to be a big mistake. Lesson learned.

The current situation goes against all the principles that we promote in OpenMarine so here we are, hacking the project that we ourselves have helped to create...

Following this manual you will be able to run your Moitessier HAT 1 and 2 in OpenPlotter 3.x.x. No more drivers, no more bricked devices after an update:

Sad reason, but a spot-on solution. Works like a charm. Hats off, Sailoog!
(2022-12-29, 03:39 PM)Sailoog Wrote: After much insistence, I think we can say that the Moitessier HAT project is definitely dead. After promising that the project would be transferred or that the sources would be released, none of this has happened.

Well done. 
But if I understand correctly you lose the UART to attack Sean's controller, or am I wrong? 
Anyway thanks for everything and good wind, always! Cool Wink
(2023-01-19, 10:41 AM)Max1947 Wrote: Well done. 
But if I understand correctly you lose the UART to attack Sean's controller, or am I wrong? 
Anyway thanks for everything and good wind, always! Cool Wink

Yes, UART interfaces can only be used by one program/device at a time just as USB inerfaces.
Hello Sailoog,
I have no bluetooth icon since the hack.
Is this related to the uart interface.
So I can't use a bluetooth device anymore, right? Or is this a bug on my part?
Is there any way to use bluetooth anyway. I can think of a stick off the top of my head.
Greetings Jürgen
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
As you are warned by enabling UART0 in openplotter-serial, Bluetooth shares the interface with UART0, so you can't use them at the same time.
(2023-02-15, 05:32 PM)Luckbert Wrote: Hello Sailoog,
I have no bluetooth icon since the hack.
Is this related to the uart interface.
So I can't use a bluetooth device anymore, right? Or is this a bug on my part?
Is there any way to use bluetooth anyway. I can think of a stick off the top of my head. 
Greetings Jürgen

Get an cheap Bluetooth-USB Dongle, even the oldest will do.
Hello. 
I am happy to hear that the moitessier hat can be re-used this way. 
I tried the hack and unfortunately I do not see the device when activating the GPIO header via the UART0 button.
After a reboot there is no additional device visible. 

I am running openplotter 3 and tried it with a Moitessier Hat 2

Thanks

EDIT:
I added the ttyAMA0 port manually in signalK and now I see NMEA data from the Moitessier hat.
On another note:
Is the heading value coming from the moitessier hat really magnetic as in an analog compass?
Does deviation occur as much as in an analog compass?
Hello all,
I have a problem with the Bluetooth dongle. It is recognized immediately, so far it is ok.
Unfortunately, the connection to the Moitessier hat is lost. I pull out the stick and restart everything is back to the old.
Are there any solutions or ideas?

Attached Files Image(s)

Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin