This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenCPN 64 Bit Hangs On Close
I'm looking for help with this issue.

The 64 bit version of OpenCPN 5.6.2 as distributed with Openplotter hangs when exiting the program.

On my Raspberry Pi 4 reported CPU usage goes to 24% in task manager and >95% in scrot. After 5-10 minutes the program exits normally.

When I use task manager and select 'Term' the program ends immediately and the next OpenCPN starts up getting with warning message about OpenCPN not shut down properly.

More info here FWIW.....https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3681114&type=3

Ideas?
(2023-01-13, 09:35 PM)Rae Simpson Wrote: I'm looking for help with this issue.

The 64 bit version of OpenCPN 5.6.2 as distributed with Openplotter hangs when exiting the program.

On my Raspberry Pi 4 reported CPU usage goes to 24% in task manager and >95% in scrot. After 5-10 minutes the program exits normally.

When I use task manager and select 'Term' the program ends immediately and the next OpenCPN starts up getting with warning message about OpenCPN not shut down properly.

More info here FWIW.....https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3681114&type=3

Ideas?
pi@openplotter:~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 108.00
Features : fp asimd evtstrm crc32 cpuid
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 8
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd08
CPU revision : 3

processor : 1

processor : 2

processor : 3

Hardware : BCM2835
Revision : d03114
Serial : 100000007c47dbff
Model : Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
Are you running heavy charts?

Have you tested disabling data inputs?

In OpenCpn, I disabled the connections and removed all added charts. 

Same hang up occurs on exit.   Task manager shows CPU at ~ 35% and OpenCpn at 25%  

after ~ 10 minutes the program exits.
Possible clue on the cause of te hang up:

Comparing OpnCPN logs in the problem Raspberry with a functioning windows OpenCPN log:

Raspberry OpenCPN log ends at ---> 17:47:59 890 'Message Chart1.cpp:4022 gFrame destroyed."

Windows OpenCPN.log continues with further cleanup message like:

16:50:34.819 MESSAGE chart1.cpp:4022 gFrame destroyed.
16:50:34.839 MESSAGE chart1.cpp:2634 opencpn::MyApp starting exit.
16:50:34.839 MESSAGE chart1.cpp:2673 LOGBOOK: 2023-01-16 00:50:34 UTC OFF: Lat 49.01080 Lon -123.82290
16:50:34.845 MESSAGE TCDataSource.cpp:41 UnLoading Tide/Current data source: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\tcdata\harmonics-dwf-20210110-free.tcd
16:50:34.854 MESSAGE TCDataSource.cpp:41 UnLoading Tide/Current data source: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\tcdata\HARMONICS_NO_US.IDX
16:50:34.857 MESSAGE chart1.cpp:2697 opencpn::MyApp exiting cleanly...

It sure looks like the issue is tide and/or current table related.

Turning tide / current tables on took ~15 minutes with heavy CPU during that time. After the Tides/currents are displayed, right clicking the current arrows triggers the heavy cpu and slow response. Same with exiting current table display boxes.
Do you have multiple GPS instances in Signal K? I had a similar issue with two GPS inputs on Signal K. I Had to disable one.

Also disable communications link into OpenCPN and see what happens.
Only a single GPS instance. Tried disabling that. Problem remains.

Disabled com links in OpenCPN - problem remains.
what you need to do is recompile opencpn with debugging symbols:

cd OpenCPN
mkdir build
cd build
rm -rf *
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ..
make

Now run opencpn like this:
gdb opencpn
(gdb) r

Now get into the "bad state" and stop the debugger with ctrl+c to find what opencpn is doing.
Have you installed opencpn from Debian backport or from flatpak?

There are some important fixes in the flatpak version that were never applied to the backport: https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/issue...1232110960

Try installing the flatpak version (OpenCPN 5.6.2-2+b75be76) to see if any of the fixes solves your problem. You can run backport and flatpak versions in parallel in openplotter without problem.
Thanks for suggestions guys. I re-imaged with the 32 bit version and found that pretty sluggish, so tried re-image again with 64 bit Openplotter, processed apt-upgrade and - lo - no hang ups.

Maybe card corruption or one of the updates resolved it - or even remotely possible ;-) that this Raspberry newbee -did something wrong.

Now to take it back the boat and start building connections again.