This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Office" Autopilot
Hello all!

I'm just starting a custom Autopilot system for our new 19ft Campion Explorer Fishing boat. 

The boat is setup with a 135hp inboard/outboard motor with hydraulic steering. For trolling, there is a 9.9hp Yamaha "kicker" motor that can be attached to the main motor leg with an EZ Steer link rod. 

The end state goal is to be able to setup a series of waypoints along an underwater shelf and have the boat capable of following the waypoint track with no human interference.

Phase 1: Initial controller - Kicker Motor Throttle.

Use Arduino to accept 433mhz RF Remote control inputs to modulate "kicker" motor throttle. It is proof of concept, and gets me started programing Arduino. This will allow us to modulate the boat's speed while fishing at the stern.

Components:
- Arduino Uno R3 (https://store-usa.arduino.cc/products/arduino-uno-rev3)
- RF Remote Controller and Receiver (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32852233...1802sAJaMF)
- Align DS530 Servo Motor 
- Fabricated pieces to attach servo to the kicker motor

Phase 2: Complete Controller - Kicker Throttle + Steering

Use the  working Arduino and Remote setup, add hydraulic pump and motor controller to drive main motor leg steering. Only human input through remote control. This will additionally allow us to modify our course while fishing. Now we have full course 

Phase 3: Automatic Input - Integrate PyPilot to provide "Automatic Input"

Integrate RP and PyPilot as inputs to the steering and throttle controller Arduino.   

I'll keep updating here as the project continues.
Would it be better to simply use pypilot to somehow control the throttle?

I am planning to support multiple motor controllers, so one could be programmed for manual control from the remote control while the other is used to hold a course.
(2023-01-16, 04:21 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Would it be better to simply use pypilot to somehow control the throttle?

I am planning to support multiple motor controllers, so one could be programmed for manual control from the remote control while the other is used to hold a course.

My end state is to be able to activate the motor control using either the PyPilot or the remote control. Both for direction and throttle. I think it would be sweet if we could set a waypoint path and speed, and have the PyPilot do it all. But at the same time, we might want to just use the remote to run the boat in other circumstances. 

It might totally be possible to have the PyPilot do it all, but I'm not very familiar with Raspberry Pie, and they are darn near impossible to find right now. To be honest, I'm not really familiar with Arduino either, but at least I have a few and can play with them. 

I'm hoping to run a RPi 4 with OpenPlotter. I'm still not sure how to integrate everything, but we'll get there! It may end up that I can simplify my hardware at end-state. A wonderful adventure to be sure, and I'll do my best to log my progress here so others can learn along.
Phase 1. Update: It's ALIVE!!!

Using temporary wiring and power direct from the computer USB, I've managed to confirm that the RF Controller, through the RF Transmitter creates a reliable and usable input to the Arduino. I've also managed to program the Arduino to get the desired action at the servo. 
[Image: Adruino.jpg]

Now, I'm aware that the Arduino Uno is not rated to drive the servo under load so the current configuration will need to be modified to include a separate power circuit for the servo. Also, it will need to be contained in a box, not just sitting on my desk. Components have been ordered.

But I'm happy to report that we have 1 functional axis under direct control! Schematic with proper power wiring:

[Image: circuit.png]

Videos and photos seem difficult to link properly. Troubleshooting underway.