This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pyilot NMEA 2000 Simrad TP22
Hey folks,

I read a lot bout pypilot beeing attached to the tp22 but directly to the motors.
But is there also a way to adress the motor via n2k so one doesn´t have to open the housing of the tillerpilot .. ?

I do have:
- RPI3b+ with DAISY Hat running openplotter (headless).
- Yachta Windsensor going into signalK 
- Serial GPS
- Yesterday a mpu9250 arrived (I worked with the 6050 in earlier projects...)
- an old Autohelm 800 tillerpilot

and either I buy a tp22 now since it can take n2k signals or stay with the autohelm 800 and modify it..

Would prefere the tp22 solution since I still might have a simple ap solution in case openplotter/pypilot crashes..

Any links to the documentation I didn´t found or sth similar?

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
KNH
It is not supported.

I have no idea if it is even viable as there could be too much latency or they may not support manual control over n2k.
(2023-01-19, 02:59 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: It is not supported.

I have no idea if it is even viable as there could be too much latency or they may not support manual control over n2k.

I see, so buying the pypilot motor controller and modify my existing Autohelm 800 tillerpilot might be the best shot I have huh?
Or are there tillerpilots which are more easy to modify or do have experior performance compared to the old autohelm?

Just to understand everything correctly:
- Since the TP22 from Simrad does have n2k interface that can read wind etc sentences it might come with an internal autopilot, no? So if SignalK is sending the sentences into my nmea2000 bus and the TP is attached it might also work but than I cant controll it via pypilot...

BG and thanks in advance
I would suggest modifying the tillerpilot. Anything with a ball screw will tend to have better performance and efficiency compared to a lead screw.

pypilot does not use n2k at all, you would have to translate to nmea0183 or signalk in both directions to interface with it.