This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about the implementation of wind mode
I am trying to really understand the way the (basic) pilot works in wind mode. One thing about the code I do not really understand. To me it seems that the pilot converts the wind angle which has the boat as a frame of reference to a wind angle having the compass as a frame of reference using this line of code.
Code:
true_wind = resolv(ap.true_wind_compass_offset.value - compass)

Do I interpret the code right? If so, what is the reason for this? To me it seems like a detour.
The reason is, the magnetic compass provides the best measurement of knowing the orientation or direction the boat is facing.

true wind is computed from wind sensors as well as speed sensors so the result needs a lot of filtering and can only be estimated slowly.

The true wind direction is assumed to change gradually so the compass provides a high-speed measurement of true wind.