This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pypilot on opencpn using w2k-1 actisense nmea wifi gateway
Hello All,

I have been using pypilot (0.24)  and opencpn (5.6.2) for a while, they work together very well. Recently I've installed a nmea2000 w2k-1 actisense gateway  to broacast the sailing parameters (ais, speed, position etc...) but I don't know how to set up the wifi to get pypilot and nmea data together.
If I connect to pypilot network I lost the nmea data, if I connect to the actisense server, pypilot stays disconnected.

How should I set them up on opencpn ? I'm lost with the master/client paradigm ...

Many thanks for your help

Elea
I think you would need to set up pypilot to be a client to the actisense network. To do this, use the pypilot web client, go to Configuration → Configure Wifi, and set Managed (client), SSID should point to your actisense gateway wifi, passphrase the actisence wifi password, and choose a fixed ip address for the 'client mode address' - an ip address within the free range of the actisense subnet. Reboot your tinypilot. If all is right, your opencpn machine should now be able to ping the fixed ip address of pypilot and the rest should now be trivial.

Well, as trivial as pypilot can be ;-)
(2023-02-05, 08:36 PM)ironman Wrote: I think you would need to set up pypilot to be a client to the actisense network. To do this, use the pypilot web client, go to Configuration → Configure Wifi, and set Managed (client), SSID should point to your actisense gateway wifi, passphrase the actisence wifi password, and choose a fixed ip address for the 'client mode address' - an ip address within the free range of the actisense subnet. Reboot your tinypilot. If all is right, your opencpn machine should now be able to ping the fixed ip address of pypilot and the rest should now be trivial.

Well, as trivial as pypilot can be ;-)

Many thanks ironman, very useful, I did it the other way round

What I've done is
 update actisense firmeware to 1.258, then declare W2k-1 as a client of pypilot in the web app of actisense, you get an ip for it
eg. 192.168.14.64;
then on opencpn I declared on connection on pypilot 192.168.14.1 : 20220 and one on the client 192.168.14.64 : 60001 (port of the actisense server)

this made the trick

may help somebody else

thanks again

Elea
I did not realize you could configure the actisense as a client. Should have read that manual first ;-).

That said, you are now relying on your autopilot for your connectivity. You are not the only one, but it would not be my choice. The actisense is designed for that purpose.
(2023-02-13, 06:34 PM)ironman Wrote: I did not realize you could configure the actisense as a client. Should have read that manual first ;-).

That said, you are now relying on your autopilot for your connectivity. You are not the only one, but it would not be my choice. The actisense is designed for that purpose.

Thanks for pointing the weakness, although the actisense has 2 modes simultaneously (AP+client), so if pypilot goes down I can quickly switch the wifi connection to actisense, The trouble is if pypilot introduces some random /not so random error on some of the messages, you may not be able to detect them  quickly and get in trouble. This is supporting stuff and nothing is perfect !
If you can give a specific case of pypilot introducing errors and what it should do instead we can work to change it.

You could also try running pypilot as both AP+client and switch the wifi network if the actisense goes down... Not sure if this has any advantages.
(2023-02-16, 04:28 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: If you can give a specific case of pypilot introducing errors and what it should do instead we can work to change it. 

You could also try running pypilot as both AP+client  and switch the wifi network if the actisense goes down...  Not sure if this has any advantages.

Thanks Sean,

I'm currently sailing in marquesas islands on a 16 tons passoa 47. I've tested my configuration in various situations and pypilot never goes down  or introduce any error so far  -so no worry ! My previous comment was rather theorical.

We have rather strong winds here (20 to 35 kn) and big swell, I've used the wind option for reaching -nice- the gps option on downwing -very nice- and the compass option in various situation

When the boat is well balanced on sail, the energy used is really minimal

few comments if I may;

with opencpn (running on raspberry)  as soon as the route is activated the pypilot switch from compass to gps, if you want to use compass option, you need to de-activate the route.

On my boat, the reaction time is slow, I can not really use the pilot as a second hand to manoeuver in harbour or mooring which would be a good option when you are struggling at one end of the boat with the anchor or with the sail...!

Overall very, very positive experience

have good sailing
Elea
To avoid auto switching to gps mode when activated, change the talkerid (in opencpn) to "GP" for the connection to pypilot.

The latest version of pypilot has a separate NAV mode (with a hidden option to not have a separate mode) and generally doesnt switch modes automatically (other users complained) unless you set an option in the opencpn plugin too now.
Thanks Sean,
regarding getting the last version (0.36 as I understand), I' m struggling quite a bit. I installed tinycore 13.1.0 on a raspi zero : ok, clone from the git pypilot : ok but when I run the dependencies.py and/or setup.py I've got errors, starting with tinycore not supporting APT.
How to fix this ?
thanks for the reply
best
Elea
you can ignore the warning about APT on tinycore... on tinycore the dependencies are fulfilled manually but normally in place already.