This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Nav/Pypilot install - a few questions
Hi gang, I'm setting up a Pi4 for nav onboard which is in addition to an existing Pi3 which gets & logs all the data atm. Image is much quicker than typing >>    

So for starters...

Which pypilot source is would you recomend to use? 3 options found >> The installer in openplotter settings / git clone https://github.com/pypilot/openplotter-pypilot / git clone https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot.

And what method of getting data from the Pi3 (wind, gps, battery info, temperatures > a mixture of nmea & signalk) Just using tcp 10110 to get going so far but ethernet might feel more reliable, though the ethernet port will be used for radar.. 

Probably many more to follow but that should get things going

TIA  Cool
Well think I`ve answers my own questions a bit - openplotter settings installer seemed to work fine, installed & up and running pretty quickly.
VNC works only if I run  vncserver-virtual first in a terminl then use vnc address 10.10.10.2:1

Calibration - on the boat in an anchorage which is pretty but not completely calm, can't seem to get the accelerometer to calibrate, each "side of the box" will get a lot of red dots in one area but can't get a fit `will I need to go ashore to calibrate?

[Image: D358PAf.png]

Pi4 is running staion & ap mode with wifi connected to Pi3 which seems to work with opencpn forwarding nmea - is there  better way?

thnx
getting nowhere here. So Pi3 doing data on 10.10.10.1, also connected to mobile & passing data through 10.10.10.1. All good. Pi4 with access point set to 10.10.10.2 Network set to AP & station, wfif connected to Pi3 access point & station connected to Pi3 openplotter network. Pi3 websocket connection to Pi4, pitch & roll comes in OK. All works. Turn laptop off & on 10.10.10.2 has vanished, but data still going into Pi3. Pi4 access point showing but won't connect. No way to talk to Pi4. Turn off & on is only way . Then no pitch/roll in Pi3. Websocket sending data to i4 pypilot but now not receiving. No idea whatsoever what's going on.

Will keep at it & keep talking to myself on here .  Big Grin Big Grin
OK, think we're about there. Managed to get a monitor & got the ip address of the Pi4 logged onto the Pi3 network, it behaves as it should on all machines. Deleted the Pi4 access point so now just logged onto the Pi3. Pi4 websocket connection to the Pi3, more Okaying of access requests & seems to be stable now, radar & pypilot working on flatpack opencpn. Just need to sort VNC now. 
Thanks all, couldn't have done it without you  Big Grin Wink Big Grin Wink

Also left to do, get rudder feedback working - any hints? s soon as A4 on the arduino isn't shorted to ground the motor stops working. 
And optocoupled  serial instead of usb.  Exciting, might even have it sailing soon  Cool
(2023-07-29, 09:51 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  Just need to sort VNC now. 

So if you are having problems with vnc key error this command seems to fix it >

sudo vncserver-x11 -service -generatekeys force
You may not be able to calibrate the accelerometers at anchor if there are waves moving the boat a lot.

It looks like you did a previous calibration that did work since it is non-zero. You need to get dots on every side of the sphere.
(2023-07-30, 10:47 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: You may not be able to calibrate the accelerometers at anchor if there are waves moving the boat a lot.

It looks like you did a previous calibration that did work since it is non-zero.  You need to get dots on every side of the sphere.

Maybe got it this morning while calm before the fishing boat wash..

Says sphere3fit?  I clicked lock calibration after seeing that.

[Image: iADHn9W.png]

[Image: WCZO7qq.png]
Running for a while along with another compass - not moved yet to calibrate the compass but swinging around on the anchor. Hoping the accuracy will get better when out sailing. Think the Nasa compass is pretty accurate, the radar seems to math up with the charts anyway. Amazing little chip though!!  Cool Cool

[Image: QYkalNl.png]
Did you get a proper calibration with the compass by rotating the boat in a circle? Your plots indicate the compass is not calibrated.
(2023-08-01, 06:16 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Did you get a proper calibration with the compass by rotating the boat in a circle?  Your plots indicate the compass is not calibrated.

at anchor so the boat has rotated a bit but  but not actually moved, hopefully move tomorrow. Does pypilot need COG to calibrate?

One thing, the Pi3 which does data gets roll & pitch for the Pi4 running pypilot, if I restart the Pi3 each time I need to go back into security to OK the access request even if it was "remember for 60d". Is that usual? 

Very excited though  Cool Cool