This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weathersensor data not appearing
Noob question: I am not seeing any data appear in OpenCPN although the NMEA debugger shows a continuous stream of data that appears to be correct. (See screenshot)

I've also tried getting this into SignalK but there is no debug tool so I removed the connection there and figured I focus on OpenCPN to start with. 

I've read through the old and new wiki and searched this forum. Any suggestions as to solve/troubleshoot this will be appreciated. Thanks!

(2023-07-24, 07:23 PM)chris Wrote: Noob question: I am not seeing any data appear in OpenCPN although the NMEA debugger shows a continuous stream of data that appears to be correct. (See screenshot)

I've also tried getting this into SignalK but there is no debug tool so I removed the connection there and figured I focus on OpenCPN to start with. 

I've read through the old and new wiki and searched this forum. Any suggestions as to solve/troubleshoot this will be appreciated. Thanks!

its actually worth putting everything through signalk first which then send all nmea0183 it receives straight out again and there are various debugging tools.

[Image: VdeT3gl.png]

the data fiddler is useful as well-
[Image: w086bkc.png]

Your issue seems to be the message, $WIMWV,320,R,15.0,M,A*0B works but $PYMWV,308.04,R,0.00,N,A*3b doesn't 

[Image: igk3o5I.png]

where is your wind data coming from? PY sounds like pypilot? If the wind sensor is connected to pypilot it might be better to connect it to signalk first then end the data to pypilot from there.
Thanks for the pointers. I'll focus on SignalK import first & learn about nmea0193 debugging. I'll report back.

The data is coming from a Sean built mini (no LCD screen) weathersensor.
(2023-07-25, 03:45 PM)chris Wrote: Thanks for the pointers. I'll focus on SignalK import first & learn about nmea0193 debugging. I'll report back.

The data is coming from a Sean built mini (no LCD screen) weathersensor.

just had another play around here, looks like opencpn will let the PY sentence come in but the dashboard doesn't recognize it. Dashboard does recognize a WIMWV sentence. Bit windy in test land  Big Grin

[Image: Tx9czMZ.png]

Maybe Sean of someone will be along who knows more.
I did not know that opencpn had logic to filter codes starting with P (proprietary)

more recent versions of the software use QTMWV which should be recognized

https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot/commi...c96a985866