This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinypilot expected behavior with activated route
Hi all,
I would like to know what is the expected behavior of Tinypilot when a route is activated. My configuration is Sean's Tinypilot upgraded to version 0.32 (from last image release 2021-11-16) operating in relation with the last release of Openplotter version 3 running on a Raspberry 3b.

At first it was possible to choose the operating mode of Pypilot without or with a route activated, and I was really satisfied with this behavior.

Unfortunately, I have tried to modify the translation file in the OpenCpn Pypilot plugin and since this trial Pypilot don't allow other choice than GPS mode when a route is activated.

Did there is the expected behavior, or is it possible to come back to the previous situation without a complete re-installation fo Openplotter?

Many thanks for your help.

Eric
Without sending any nmea data to pypilot, it will only enable compass mode. When you send *) RMC data to pypilot, it will also enable GPS mode. When you activate a route in opencpn, it will generate APB data. If you send this to pypilot, it will not show any more modes, but you will notice that pypilot's commanded heading will reflect the heading to waypoint (BNG) as can be seen in the route console that pops up in opencpn when a route is activated. So far expected behaviour.

*) there are a few ways you can send NMEA data to pypilot. The modern way is to let pypilot pick it up from signalk. You can also send those messages to TCP socket 20220 or you can use 'Forward NMEA' in the plugin configuration. Please be specific on how you did this.

You say you cannot choose any more modes other than GPS. Was that in the plugin or also in tinypilot's web interface?

At first you could reinstall the plugin with opencpn's plugin manager.

Any other choice than GPS I have never seen; if pypilot lacks nmea data it's usually the compass mode that is the only one. Are there any messages in the opencpn log file?
Hi Ironman, thanks for your reply.

I don't have any problem to get nmea on Pypilot and I am able to choose between the 4 modes (compass, gps, wind, true wind), I use signal K. The fact is that before my trial to get a better translation (french) I was able to choose between the 4 mode even with a route activated, and for me that is an excellent solution because I am able to come back to compass mode or wind mode with the route window in use, giving useful information. With this behavior it is possible to choose the compass mode to avoid a boat or any danger or to sail in wind mode keeping information on the route.

After my trial, I have made some trials by reinstalling the original plugin to come back to this previous behavior, but without success.

Before installing Pypilot 0.32 and OP3, the behavior was as you describe and I was very glad to get a change.
If you are forced to GPS mode when a route is active, this is a documented and long time feature of pypilot: when it receives APB messages, it automatically flicks to GPS mode. Personally, I don't like this, for the same reason you don't, which is the intuitive dodging of obstacles on your route.

You might try changing the 'talker ID' of your messages to GP, e.g. $GPRMC instead of $ECRMC. When the talker id is GP, it does not flick to GPS mode when in compass mode. However, this only applies to OpenCPN data connections; I would not know how to change the talker ID in signalk, because the protocol is no longer NMEA.
Thank you Ironman. So I am not alone with my opinion. I would make some trial with your method.
I finally discover that by unticking the NMEA transfer option in configuration tab of Pypilot window the choice between the four mode is again allowed. Real good news for me!
Good you solved it! I checked the code - the Forward NMEA does exactly what it promises: forward all NMEA sentences that come in into OpenCPN to Pypilot, including the Talker ID. Apparently, in your case, some of those sentences contained a talker id that causes the pypilot to flick to gps. And according to your report the flicking does not occur when running on signalk data only. Pypilot sure is a never ending puzzle ;-)
@ Iroman, Pypilot sure is a never ending puzzle!
Yes, indeed, but a powerful and wonderful tool. A lot of time to spend for this winter time, I try to learn but start from far as I have very few experience with Linux.
Hello all, following my last OpenPlotter 3 update I have updated the Pypilot plugin for OpenCpn to the version 0.40, but I noticed the mode choice has disappeared. I don't know if it's a bug or if it's due to my Tinypilot version. I have restored to the version 0.34.40.0 and the behavior is back to normal.
Where do you mean "the mode choice has disappeared" ?