This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking for tinypilot (computer) how to docs
Yes it was too complicated for the real Les Noble and I am also new to Linux. Now that Les Noble is in the water, my crew member who has linux/drone experience gave it a shot (previous recent posts) and got hung up. Will probably have another go today.
Too many other things on the list for me to spend hours on this one. I want to go sailing too!
Please incorporate these little hickup fixes into the documentation. Documentation with a newbie in mind would help as well.
OK, Crewmember talking,
Ironman, green bars are in the upper right corner, position of boat is updated, and I also can see nearby boats through AIS. I also have a barometer setup(a bmp280?).

Removed the filters in opencpn, which after looking at the NMEA debug window, and setting a valid waypoint to navigate to(30 degrees to port), I have opencpn generating messages(ECRMB, ECRMC,ECAPB,ECXTE} which are being sent(blue messages). That being said, pypilot is still not receiving them[No green messages for these fields]{sidenote: are the messages appended by EC the same as the non EC variants? ECRMB!=RMB?}. After this, I took Sean's advice, and removed the NMEA client information from the Pypilot configuration page, which didn't change anything about the setup.

Ironman, thanks for elaborating so much on the datatypes, I do intend to make a short writeup of configuring my system after the problem is sorted out. It would be immensely helpful if the wiki that you wrote had more screenshots of individual steps for configuring different setups. I am trying to fix this problem "by the book", I'd rather not write a bash script to interface with a network socket which I somehow feed to the pilot Big Grin [Speaking of which, reading through the issues with the windspeed, may be less work than trying to troubleshoot where exactly the problem is in NMEA vs Signal K network stuff 0.o ]

Right now, the wiki you have written is very helpful in understanding how/why the system works, but not good at describing how to initially setup an interface between the pypilot and opencpn. I have read through each page of both the pypilot website and the wiki and still am having a hard time configuring this, I did also read through the openplotter website, and have read through the opencpn manual. Unfortunately they do not have much in the way of information regarding the pypilot either.

Thanks for the help, and Sean, I feel that you guys are doing an excellent job with the speed to which you are replying, no patience needed on my end. I do want to solve this issue, for both my sake and to help others that may run into the same problem.

https://imgur.com/a/crzxl8Y
Also, in case it was apparent, the problem is pretty much exactly the same, only now I have GPS messages coming in blue.

Regarding Signal K, the systems didn't have internet access until just now, so I'm currently working on getting the pypilot plugin working on the openplotter system. https://imgur.com/a/3ASCoog

(2022-08-19, 10:42 PM)Les Noble Wrote: Also, in case it was apparent, the problem is pretty much exactly the same, only now I have GPS messages coming in blue.

Regarding Signal K, the systems didn't have internet access until just now, so I'm currently working on getting the pypilot plugin working on the openplotter system. https://imgur.com/a/3ASCoog

Oops on the last picture sent, the address shouldn't be localhost, at the bottom of step 10 it says it should be the current address of the pypilot.
I'm using OpenPlotter with Rpi4 and Pican-M. after installing Pican-M where no free Rpi pins. how do you connect Arduino to you Rpi with Pican-M. On HAT its free I2C, NMEA-0183 and USB. Maybe there its posibility connect Arduino with PyPilot through them?

Thanks in advance
You can connnect the arduino through USB, see this link.