This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry-test NMEA2000 with Signal K delta simulator?
Hello all,

I would like to test my Raspi/OP setup with NMEA2000 at home since my boat is too far away. Here I don't have an NMEA2000 network or real devices, so I thought I'd do the following:
  • Use Signal K delta simulator to create dummy data.
  • Forward Signal K dummy data from simulator to one of the two CAN interfaces (Waveshare 2 channel CAN HAT)
  • Directly connect the two CAN interfaces with each other.
  • Use candump on the second CAN interface to show the data Signal K is sending through the first interface.

Unfortunately it looks like Signal K is not forwarding any data from the simulator to NMEA2000, candump shows no messages.

What I did exactly:
  • SK delta simulator generates self.navigation.speedOverGround, environment.depth.belowTransducer. This data is shown in the Data Browser and the web instrument panels.
  • CAN Bus is configured, both interfaces were auto-detected.
  • Connected can0-L with can1-L and can0-H with can1-H, onboard terminators are enabled.
  • Added can0 as Data Connection in Signal K server (Type: NMEA2000, Enabled: yes, ID: can0, NMEA 2000 Source: Canbus (canboatjs), Interface: can0, Use Can NAME in source data: yes) but not can1. Can0 now shows in 'CAN Bus' with Signal K id can0.
  • Configured Signal K - NMEA2000 to send depth and SOG.
  • Started 'candump can1' in a terminal. -> NO OUTPUT

Interestingly, when I restart Signal K Server, it sends some messages on can0, but they are not repeated (maybe static vessel data?). This makes me think that the interface is working. But I'm wondering why the simulated data is not sent on NMEA2000.

Cheers
Dennis
I remember having similar issues with the simulator. Do you have a USB GPS?
No, no USB GPS. Plenty of GPS on the boat but none here and too greedy to spend money on it Wink
Enable Debug Log for Signal K to NMEA 2000 to see what the plugin is outputting. Once you know that part is working you can move on to testing the hw connection.

On startup SK Can NMEA 2000 integration does the address claim and queries the bus for information about devices there.