This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dAISy hat and GPS module
Hi,
I just received my dAISy hat ! Smile It will run with openplotter.
Now iam confused, how can I use it with other sensors connected to my i2c? Also I have GPS module connected to serial. Should I use the connectors/pins brought out on dAISY?
I can see on the surface that there is i2c serial1 and serial2, can I use it for gps, bmp280 etc?
There are holes for I2C on the dAISy Hat. I just soldered some pins on it and used those.
The dAISy HAT is designed to be on top so it makes a bit difficult to connect more stuff. For I2C you have abarrow's solution.

For the GPS module you also have serial1 and serial2 in the HAT but if I am not wrong these connectors are not connected to the Raspberry serial connectors, they are connected to the dAISy HAT MCU. The serial connector UART0 in the Raspberry is occupied by the dAISy HAT so serial1 and serial2 where added to multiplex more serial inputs and to be sent through UART0. I remember having a conversation with the dASIy developer and he said that this options was not completely integrated into the current firmware but you should confirm that because I am not sure.

Another option would be using a USB GPS instead of a module.
Photo 
Thank you for the answers, I think it will be ok with i2c, but you worried me that I can't connect GPS. THIS is my project, I had rtl-sdr dongle connected to usb but when buying dAISy I just wanted to avoid connecting anything to USB :/
I dont have to much space. Here is my openplotter project. My GPS module is on the left side of the pcture Sad I will try to talk to dAISy developer.

Attached Files Image(s)

If the dAISy input solution does not work you will not be able to use UART0 because it is being used by the HAT but I can see that you have a Raspberry 4 so you can also use UART2, UART3, UART4 or UART5 soldering TX from the module to the right RX GPIO in the HAT. You have to be careful with soldering but it will work for sure.

Let us know what Adrian says please.
Iam not familiar with multiple UART interfaces but I will check it. Thank you.
I will let you know as soon as I get answer from dAISy developer.
Do not worry the openplotter-serial app will guide you through the process: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3.....html#uart
Adrian answered pretty fast.
"you can wire it up to the Serial 2 pads on the dAISy HAT, and then configure the secondary serial port of the dAISy HAT for NMEA input at the baud rate of the GPS module (typically 9600). If you do that, the GPS data will be combined with the AIS data sent to the Pi.
See sections 3.2 and 4.3 in the instruction manual for the dAISy HAT.
https://wegmatt.com/files/dAISy%20HAT%20...Manual.pdf"

So it is looks pretty good. I will test it in the evening.  Smile

UPDATE

It is working Smile Cannot test AIS, but GPS is working. I have to connect with screen to dAISy and setup serial port as Adrian sugested. After that it start working and GPS data are going to SerialK and to OpenCPN. Now I have to work with I2C, 1-Wire and LEDs.

Attached Files Image(s)