This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Openplotter serial output
[quote pid='733' dateline='1472751132']
PS The RPi guys screwed up the UART with the Bluetooth facility in the Pi3.  I guess it’s well-known now but I wasted a ton of time trying to feed NMEA into the console terminal after I upgraded to a Pi3.  Worked (with kplex) on the B+.
[/quote]
You can use the serial port in the raspi uart.  See previous remarks by esailing  I use it with an optocoupler and a ftdi serial to usb cable,works fine up to 57000 baud
(2016-09-01, 09:32 PM)tkoning Wrote: [quote pid='733' dateline='1472751132']
PS The RPi guys screwed up the UART with the Bluetooth facility in the Pi3.  I guess it’s well-known now but I wasted a ton of time trying to feed NMEA into the console terminal after I upgraded to a Pi3.  Worked (with kplex) on the B+.
You can use the serial port in the raspi uart.  See previous remarks by esailing  I use it with an optocoupler and a ftdi serial to usb cable,works fine up to 57000 baud
[/quote]

Hi tkoning,

Thanks for taking the time to comment.  I guess it’s certainly possible to work around the RPi 3 UART issues but it’s deeper than I personally want/feel competent to get involved with.  However it would be interesting if you could post the schematic you mentioned and a consolidated “idiot’s guide” to the subject which draws together the comments in various places on and off this thread.

Notwithstanding this, I’m really keen to have a wifi solution for the PC link not rely on a cable and also to hear how Renato got Ozi to work with OpenPlotter (I’m presuming for both Navdata and AIS data) – solving the “unbundling” issue in Ozi I mentioned. 

Thanks again

Andrew
I’ve looked again through the Ozi setup and help pages (something I’ve not done for years) and I see I’m quite wrong to think that Ozi requires separate position and AIS feeds.  It does accept both bundled at 38400 or whatever.  My misconception comes from some early failures when I first started playing with AIS in Ozi. 

So I’ll try next weekend to get Ozi working on OpenPlotter's wifi using a Virtual Serial Port Emulator (hopefully a free one) and see if that is robust enough to go wire-less with Ozi.

Andrew
I can confirm that the free app “HW VSP3 - Virtual Serial Port” from The Czech people “HW Group” works well over wifi to connect a Windows 7 PC running Oziexplorer with an RPi running OpenPlotter and OpenCPN.

Download it from the link near the bottom right of this page:  

http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html

I would add that, having looked at a number of these apps, the HW one has a particularly clear GUI.  You just enter (assuming it’s default) the 10.10.10.1 for the Pi and 10110 in the obvious boxes, select a free COM number and press start.
There are two possibilities

1. GPS and AIS receiver are connected to the physical ports of the PC which runs Oziexplorer GPS and AIS, NMEA data is used by Oziexplorer and broadcast in WiFi at RPI OpenPlotter OpenCPN

2. GPS and AIS receiver are connected to the RPI physical ports: NEMEA data are used by OpenPlotter and Opencpn and transmitter in WiFi to your PC with oziexplorer

--------
1. GPS and AIS connected to the PC

PC sets:

For example GPS on physical port COM3, AIS on physical port COM5

Create in VSPE a "splitter device" COM5 => com6 (set COM5 data source, COM6 virtual serial port, speed 38400)

Create in VSPE a "TCPServer" TCP COM6 device: 4998 (this is a no used local TCP port on my PC)

Create VSPE a "splitter device" com3 => com2 (set com3 data source, com2 virtual serial port, read-only, speed 4800)

Create VSPE a "TCPServer" com2 TCP device: in 2947 (this is a non used local TCP port on my PC)

In Oziexplorer set GPS input on COM2 and AIS input on COM6

Run VSPE and Oziexplorer

------

OPENPLOTTER set

Openplotter, NMEA 0183 inputs,

+ network
Name GPS
Address 192.168.1.20 (This is the IP address of my PC with Oziexplorer, this address has to be fixed)
Port 2947

Yet

+ network
Name AIS
Address 192.168.1.20 (This is the IP address of my PC with Oziexplorer, this address has to be fixed)
Port 4998

Outputs
System_output Name, Type TCP, Address localhost, port 10110

---------------
OpenCPN set

Options, Connections
Net, localhost: 10110

With these settings, the NMEA data (AIS and GPS) are input data into PC physical port they are used to Oziexplorer and they are sent over the network to OpenPlotter - OpenCPN

In the coming days recovery settings for

AIS GPS related to the physical ports of RPI and Oziexplorer receiving NMEA data from virtual ports connected to TCP - VSPE

excuse my English
Ciao
Renato
Renato
Hi

a little clarification,

I used VSPE Virtual Serial Port Emulator (free software for 32 bit platform )

http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html 

and oziexplorer runs on Windows XP

Ciao
Renato
Hi

Second chance:

Oziexplorer uses NMEA data from OpenPlotter by TCP via WiFi

In this case, GPS and AIS receiver are connected to the physical ports of OpenPlotter. OpenPlotter sends the NEMEA data on TCP data in system_ output (localhost, port 10110)

On the PC with Oziexplorer  set VSPE in this mode:

Create a device type "connector"  for example COM10 (this is a virtual port)

Create a  device type "TcpClient" TCP COM10 => 192.168.1.7 (this is the IP address of RPi (it must be fixed type)
           Device set:
           Host TCP   192.168.1.7 (this in my example)
           Remote TCP port     10110
           serial port COM10 (speed 38400, DTR / RTS no, no parity, 8 bit data, stop 1)

Create a device "Splitter" COM10 => COM1 (COM1 for example, if it is available, or any other available COM)

COM1 is a virtual port that provides the NMEA data in splitter mode, this allows you to set the COM1  as a data input in oziexplorer both GPS data input and AIS data input without creating conflict

Ciao
Renato
Interesting.  Many thanks for the detailed write-up.

I use Windows 7/64 on my PC (it's not a dedicated boat PC) so can’t use the free version of the Eterlogic virtual port software (only free for 32 bit).  So I used HW VSP3 from HW Group (hw-group.com) and I'm combining AIS and NMEA nav data in the RPi and sending it by wifi to the PC. 

It's working well.

Andrew
Info (https://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/12311)
If you disable bluetooth you can use the serial port on the rpi 3 in the same way as on rpi 2.
edit the file /boot/config.txt
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
insert at the end of the file
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
stop bluetooth serial
sudo systemctl disable hciuart
reboot
Oh. I was a little tortured with virtual ports ... for Winvlovs 10 it was a little easy to find full-featured software. The only thing that found this is a https://www.virtual-serial-port.org/. How did you achieve its connection via the Internet?