This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wired ethernet link between Tinypilot and Openplotter Raspberry
Hi all,
operating a Tinypilot sold by Sean (running the last image 0.32) and a Raspberry 3B with OpenPlotter, I would like to get a wired an Ethernet link between both equipment in place of the wifi connection (I would like to avoid the wifi electromagnetic emission in my steel boat).
I have bought an usb to Ethernet adapterĀ  and installed the extension needed to activate this adapter (this extension is not included in Tinycore 9 used by Sean for the Iinypilot).
But now, due to my poor knowledge of Linux and Tinycore, I am unable to configure Tinypilot and OpenPlotter to get this Ethernet link.
Your help would be welcome!
Eric
If you check /opt/networking.sh you should be able to modify the wlan interface to eth0. Depending on your network you may want dhcp or static.

If you modify any scripts on tinycore such as in /opt you must run "filetool.sh -b" to repackage them for the next boot.
Sean said it all.

Do you plan to link the two PI with a cross link ethernet cable or do you plan to use an Ethernet switch ?

Will there be any other Ethernet devices (most importantly an Ethernet router like a Wifi AP...) or there will be only the two PIs ?
Hi Sean and Stellian,
many thanks for your reply. So I will try this as soon as possible. I don't use a switch, only a cross cable between the two Rpi. I will feed back here after trial.
I think the easiest is to set-up a WIFI access point on the OpenPlotter side (https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/2....k_app.html) and check the checkbox "Add ethernet ports to the AP".

On Tinypilot, it may work just out of the box, because there is a script called on boot (/etc/init.d/dhcp.sh) which tries to connect to a dhcp server if an ethernet device is detected... But since you're loading the usbnet kernel modules later, it may not work, and possibly you will have to launch this same script after having loaded the modules. Try it !
Hi Sean and Stelian,
thanks to your help, I have finally succeed to get a wired link between Openplotter and Tinypilot.

I have not made any change to networking.sh but I start Tinypilot in client mode with the Wifi fixed address 10.10.10.10. I open the terminal and go to Tinypilot by SSH (ssh tc@10.10.10.10), then I activate eth0 with ifconfig in tinypilot in client mode (sudo ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.11) and I can stop wlan0 in tinypilot and wlan9 in Openplotter.

Previously I have installed the extension net-usb-4.9.22.tcz (repo.tinycorelinux.net/9.x/armv6/tcz/net-usb-4.9.22-piCore.tcz) in /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce on the Tinypilot Raspberry, created the file "onboot.lst" in /mnt/mmcblk0p2/ and added with sudo nano the line "net-usb-KERNEL.tcz" in onboot.lst.

If necessary I can restart wlan9 to connect an android tablet with VNC.

I don't know if all this operation is what is supposed to be done, but it's working fine so It's ok for me.
Glad it is working. What you can do to improve your setup is:

- sudo nano /opt/bootlocal.sh
- at the end of the file (or a bit earlier...) add your command "ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.11"
- sudo filetool.sh -b

This should run the ifconfig command on boot automatically next time you reboot.

The end of the /opt/bootlocal.sh will execute some 1 to 2 minutes after the boot (look at the "sleep" in that file), if you want the network to be up earlier, move your "ifconfig" line to the top of the file. But if you put it too early it might not work, you need to try.
I would like to be informed of changes to networking script.. It would be easy to support ethernet in the network settings page, and perhaps disable wifi only if ethernet is detected as an option too?
@Stelian: I have successfully added the command "ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.11 up" in the bootlocal.sh file just after the line 130 launching networking.sh. I have tried to write it earlier in the file, but that was not working.
@ Sean: it would be perfect for me to got this behavior, but my attempt to modify networking.sh has not been efficient. Il would be very glad if you give me the change to make in this file to get this automatic disabling of Wifi when ethernet is detected.
Thanks for your help both.
Eric
Hello all, the system is working rather fine now, but I have a problem with SignalK. After a while, said one or two hours, I loose the SignalK connection between Tinypilot and Openplotter although the Pypilot OpenCpn plugin stay linked and working. To get back the connection I just need to restart SignalK. Have you an idea on this issue (not very safe to operate in GPS or in route mode)?
Many thanks, Eric