This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
generate NMEA 0183 sentences with private unit
Hello,

I managed to create NMEA-sentences $--MTW from the Signal-K value of a DSB18B20 - but the value in the sentence shows up in Kelvin. Is there any way to have it converted to °C before it's piped to kplex ?
I know that SK works exclusively with SI-Units, and conversion should be done on the client side, but my cockpit instrument won't do any conversion, it will just show the nmea value, so it has to be done before sending it over the wire...

Thanks in advance
Christian
You can do that by creating an expression in the create nmea sentence window, then "-" and 273.1 with " *. *" for 1 decimal place. I use this for a ds18 on the engine then have the mtw sentence showing in a dashboard on Opencpn so eng temp shows on the chart plotter.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
(2017-04-14, 03:18 AM)PaddyB Wrote: You can do that by creating an expression in the create nmea sentence window, then "-" and 273.1 with " *. *" for 1 decimal place. I use this for a ds18 on the engine then have the mtw sentence showing in a dashboard on Opencpn so eng temp shows on the chart plotter.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot, that was exactly what I was looking for. I have pretty much the same setup as yours, and would like to keep an eye on engine temperature when I am in the cockpit.

fair winds