This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing
G'day all.
Just a quick note about our new Pypilot autopilot. On its second run it did about 10 miles in a sloppy seaway and it worked beautifully.
My son bought Sean's Pypilot and a motor controller. He did all the hard electric stuff. My job was to make a motor and steering assembly. We used a 70 watt worm drive with toothed belt led to the steering cables. It pivots aft to engage the steering cables.
The system works so much better than the Raymarine X5, it is in a totally different category. The cat was on rails and I am getting a handle on adjusting gains. 
I had an issue with setting the peak current too low for the motor, I changed it from 7 to 12 amps. I also loved using the cheap garage door remote as I was singlehanded and it was a game changer to be able to furl the reacher up front and adjust course with the remote.
I am one super happy user. The Pypilot steers as well as me, and after 2 hours in a sloppy sea had used only 2 amp hours. Great stuff. Thanks a heap Sean.
Phil
(2023-04-15, 12:22 AM)Kankama Wrote: G'day all.
Just a quick note about our new Pypilot autopilot. On its second run it did about 10 miles in a sloppy seaway and it worked beautifully.
My son bought Sean's Pypilot and a motor controller. He did all the hard electric stuff. My job was to make a motor and steering assembly. We used a 70 watt worm drive with toothed belt led to the steering cables. It pivots aft to engage the steering cables.
The system works so much better than the Raymarine X5, it is in a totally different category. The cat was on rails and I am getting a handle on adjusting gains. 
I had an issue with setting the peak current too low for the motor, I changed it from 7 to 12 amps. I also loved using the cheap garage door remote as I was singlehanded and it was a game changer to be able to furl the reacher up front and adjust course with the remote.
I am one super happy user. The Pypilot steers as well as me, and after 2 hours in a sloppy sea had used only 2 amp hours. Great stuff. Thanks a heap Sean.
Phil

Some pics of the setup. On our catamaran, the steering cables lead from aft to the steering pedestal. I connected the toothed belt loosely to the steering cable. To engage, I pull on the purchase and the swing arm pivots aft and tensions up the toothed belt. It can be pulled nice and tightly. It is underneath the helm seat and is protected from spray. 
The 70 watt worm drive motor is used in slow mode. It works very fast in this mode. It is much quieter than the Raymarine X5. I was surprised the current use was so low, as it steered very quickly and positively. 
The boat is getting a total re- sorting of the wiring during our winter. Some internal painting too. I will install the Pypilot controls somewhere safe and out of the way. I will also build a second swing arm and motor as a backup for an offshore trip next year. 
At the moment I am using the remote which was very useful but would like some hardwired buttons near the helm as well. I wanted a joystick (because it would be cool) but would have to find a stainless and waterproof one. 

cheers

Phil

Attached Files Image(s)

Well done Phil!!
Innovative actuator! Thanks for sharing and fair winds to you!