This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Checkbox for engaging clutch in standby mode
As I am testing the new Beta image, came across a feature/glitch in the distribution.

When the system is in standby mode, the clutch is disengaged (as it should). 
When pressing +1/-1 or+10/-10 (still disengaged), the clutch engages and moves the tiller. 

If you use this feature in a below deck mounted steerings system, the rudder would move. 

Would it be an option to have a checkbox in the configration settings. That you can select if the autopilot use a tiller drive, or a below deck system..

regards,
W.
I am not sure what you mean. The tiller drive system you just dont wire the clutch?
I plan to use the type 1 raymarine below deck drive. And with this typical below deck drive, this would be permanently fixed to the rudderstock. And while the autopilot is in standby, the clutch is disengaged and steering by hand is available.

However, there is a catch. When in standby mode and someone presses a +/-1 or 10°, the clutch engages and the rudder moves. As the control unit is in a central location, it could be possible that these button are pressed accidentally.

Therefore the request to be able to select if you have a below deck drive or not..

Having said that, is it really necessary to have the clutch engage when pressing the buttons in standby mode? I think that the movement of the tillerdrive in standby mode doesn't really need the clutch. And that this clutch operation is only needed for a below deck drive?

regards
Adding a checkbox for tiller or below deck systems in the settings sounds like a smart move