This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative SeaTalk wiring
I'm using the SeaTalk data connector as a bilge alarm (on my original MacArthur V1.0).

The original documentation says that in this scenario the ST GND jumper should be set to open. This is incorrect, it needs to be set to closed.

Looking at the V1.1 schematic, it looks like the jumper has been removed. Will the data connector still work as a bilge alarm?

Also, I like how the connector is labelled "Data", since it has lots of potential uses (digital in, digital out, pulse or SeaTalk). But the LED is labelled "SEATALK1", could it be renamed to "DATA" instead?
Just to add the yellow LED light is on but not blinking
(2023-07-18, 09:11 PM)TVR Wrote: I'm using the SeaTalk data connector as a bilge alarm (on my original MacArthur V1.0).

The original documentation says that in this scenario the ST GND jumper should be set to open. This is incorrect, it needs to be set to closed.

Looking at the V1.1 schematic, it looks like the jumper has been removed. Will the data connector still work as a bilge alarm?

Also, I like how the connector is labelled "Data", since it has lots of potential uses (digital in, digital out, pulse or SeaTalk). But the LED is labelled "SEATALK1", could it be renamed to "DATA" instead?

The 12V SW input behavior has changed in v1.1. Now it needs to be closed to keep the system powered. This could be a possible use for a similar purpose using its own sensor instead of the bilge pump:

Good point. We should see how the seatalk circuit finally works and the possible alternative uses to chose the label.
(2023-07-18, 07:29 PM)Duncan Wrote: sorry my last message was a little confusing. What I meant was that I hadn't connected anything else to the card other then the SeaTalk One network. (re: my comment about the yellow data cable).i.e. I hadn't connected up the CAN bus, etc
As for the wiring, it's exactly the same as the documentation. The 12v is connected directly to the battery, GND is connected to my main neg bus bar. I have a 12v switch wire connected on the Seatalk One interface next to the yellow SeaTalk data cable.
My  SeaTalk instruments - Autohelm - Depth - Wind are all running from a separate switch on my panel.
I can't see any yellow LED blinking
I'm also not getting the SeaTalk link error that I previously had on the autohelm

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

The other user who already reported his test with v1.1 is different from yours but no data either.

To summarize:

Our test

Testing at lab connecting a MFD Raymarine E80 directly to the HAT following the docs instructions. The E80 is getting AIS and GPS data from NMEA 0183 and sending seatalk1 data. The LED is blinking and  Signal K is is receiving data without loss.

Dylan test

HAT connection to a seatalk1 bus following the documents. Data is flowing on the bus and the LED is blinking as expected, but no signal in GPIO20 and no data in signal K. There are no errors on setalk1 devices.

Duncan test

HAT connection to a seatalk1 bus following the documents. Data is flowing on the bus but the LED is on and fixed. No data in Signal K. There are no errors on setalk1 devices.

Boatingbaileys test

Waiting for it.

Next moves.

We are waiting from Dylan for some oscilloscope measurements on the input and output of the transistor connected to the GPIO20 to find out why the GPIO is not getting data.

Duncan's case is strange. We could expect the same behavior as Dylan but that LED always on makes me think that it could be a wiring error. Is the brightness intensity high or low? Could you try the wiring option without the power module? Adrian, any idea or extra test or measurement for Duncan?

Hopefully the Boatingbaileys tests are positive because right now it is a mystery why it only works in the lab.
(2023-07-19, 11:41 AM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2023-07-18, 09:11 PM)TVR Wrote: I'm using the SeaTalk data connector as a bilge alarm (on my original MacArthur V1.0).

The 12V SW input behavior has changed in v1.1. Now it needs to be closed to keep the system powered. This could be a possible use for a similar purpose using its own sensor instead of the bilge pump:

Good point. We should see how the seatalk circuit finally works and the possible alternative uses to chose the label.

Interesting, so for a digital input we'll need to earth the data connector instead of powering it. How would this work for a pulse input or a digital output?
This connector is only for digital/pulse input in both versions 1.0 and 1.1. There is an opto in v1.0 and a transistor in v1.1 so it is not possible to set outputs.
(2023-07-19, 12:44 PM)Sailoog Wrote: This connector is only for digital/pulse input in both versions 1.0 and 1.1. There is an opto in v1.0 and a transistor in v1.1 so it is not possible to set outputs.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Looking at your float switch diagram, are you saying we'd need to add a separate float switch instead of connecting to the existing (powered) float switch and bilge pump?
I’ll be testing this weekend. Desperate to get to the boat. I might also be picking up a multimeter with an oscilloscope on so can help with the troubleshooting further.
(2023-07-19, 01:34 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: I’ll be testing this weekend. Desperate to get to the boat. I might also be picking up a multimeter with an oscilloscope on so can help with the troubleshooting further.

An oscilloscope will help a lot! thanks
(2023-07-19, 12:48 PM)TVR Wrote:
(2023-07-19, 12:44 PM)Sailoog Wrote: This connector is only for digital/pulse input in both versions 1.0 and 1.1. There is an opto in v1.0 and a transistor in v1.1 so it is not possible to set outputs.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Looking at your float switch diagram, are you saying we'd need to add a separate float switch instead of connecting to the existing (powered) float switch and bilge pump?

Yes, they cost 2€.

I think the existing float switch could also work but I would need to do some test to confirm and recommend the wiring.

Anyway, priority now is to fix the seatalk 1 feature and see what alternative uses can handle.