This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radar, Starlink, and Ethernet Access point Question
I currently have a rpi4 with a Halo 20+  radar running on it flawlessly.  It is plugged into the Ethernet port on the pi.  If I just add a USB Ethernet dongle and plug my starlink into it and make settings in the opencpn network settings will I have any conflicts or issues?
There is no reason I can see why there should be an issue but that is not the way I would do it. I'd have a separate Ethernet switch, one cable going from the switch to the Ethernet port on the pi, then you plug other ethernet devices (starlink, radar etc) into the switch. The pi "sees" all the devices connected to the switch.

It avoids any possible driver or kernel issues with the USB-Ethernet adapter for the pi. Everything works in native Ethernet mode without any USB<>Ethernet conversion.

Edit: I don't know anything of starlink but does it sit on its own subnet? A brief idea of how you plan to connect it, what you're trying to achieve would be helpful. Where does the radar interface get its IP address? To work with a switch then that and the interface from the starlink would have to be on the same subnet.
The Halo 20+ plugs into the pi Ethernet currently and gets its IPaddress from the openplotter access point application’s
Can you show the network page (OpenPlotter>network)
And the output from the ifconfig command in a terminal window (with the Halo connected)

I am still not sure about your Starlink thing. I assume it is essentially a router, instead of plugging the Ethernet cable from it into your pi could could say plug it into a laptop for internet access?
as a simple and reliable switch i can recommend the Netgear ProSAFE 8 Port Gigabit unmanaged Switch GS108v4.
easy and efficient power connection direct 12V :-)
Starlink by default has an WLAN Router with DHCP, BYPASS-Mode could be enabled as far as i know and than used with an extra Router which provide all functions you maybe need. I think there is a RJ45 Starlink Adapter available for that scenario. thats what i plan to do as well :-)