This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serial device not added correctly
Hi

Well your GPS is a u-blox 8, I only have a u-blox 7 but I just tried to install it.

To compare to your installation here is what I see:

Code:
Hardware    : BCM2835
Revision    : a020d3
Serial        : 00000000a70f867a
Model        : Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3

chris@bobby:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1546:01a7 U-Blox AG [u-blox 7]

chris@bobby:~ $ dmesg | grep blox
[    5.499801] usb 1-1.1.3: Product: u-blox 7 - GPS/GNSS Receiver
[    5.499822] usb 1-1.1.3: Manufacturer: u-blox AG - www.u-blox.comom

chris@bobby:~ $ apt list udev
Listing... Done
udev/oldstable 247.3-7+deb11u2 arm64 [upgradable from: 247.3-7]
udev/oldstable 247.3-7+deb11u2 armhf

After installing the Serial port and assigning an alias, the symbolic link is created:

chris@bobby:~ $ ls -ahl /dev/ | grep ttyO
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root           7 Jun 15 20:45 ttyOP_ublox -> ttyACM0

During Openplotter system check I see:
Checking serial connections alias... | All your serial connections have an assigned alias
 I didn't get any errors and I can see the data in Signal K

Please see screenshots - what do your screens show?

Hi, sorry I am really busy now but I will take a look at this ASAP.

baltika_no_9 thanks a lot for your tracking!
Hi, sorry Baltica not to answer, I didn't see your reply and i'm not near the boat. I will check all your requests today and come back with the results
Thanks a lot
Hi,
Screenshots are difficult to do for me, I'm using a tablet with no internet access.
The device window and connection window do not show any difference with yours, except for the device where remember is set to port (in another attempt I checked with device set to device).
The dashboard of signalK shows in connection activity gnss to 0, and last gnss error to no such file or directory cannot open /dev/ttyOP_gnss, not connected
in /dev/ directory I do not find the alias. If I create this symbolic link all become normal but the alias is lost at the next reboot
Regards
You've confirmed that selecting "Remember port" doesn't work either is that correct? That is odd.

To get over the lost symlink on reboot you could try to add the line:

Code:
sudo ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/ttyOP_ublox

(Change the command to whatever is right for you of course)

into your /etc/rc.local file before the Exit 0 line as follows:

It will then be created each time the system boots.

If you need to delete the symlink then:

Code:
sudo rm /dev/ttyOP_ublox
Yes, I confirm that remember port does not work.
I will follow your suggestion for make the symbolic link persistant.

I see that apt list udev shows only:
udev/oldstable,now 241-7~deb10u9+rpi1 armhf [installed]
is this correct?

Many thanks again
Your udev looks quite old

chris@bobby:~ $ apt list udev libudev1
Listing... Done
libudev1/oldstable 247.3-7+deb11u2 arm64 [upgradable from: 247.3-7]
libudev1/oldstable 247.3-7+deb11u2 armhf
udev/oldstable 247.3-7+deb11u2 arm64 [upgradable from: 247.3-7]
udev/oldstable 247.3-7+deb11u2 armhf

Edit - I do not think that udev is causing your problem but your system does appear to be out of date. It might be worth considering updating it.
I believe I have the same issue as @yvereg. I have RPi 4 running OP2 and this issue appeared last week, there were also other weird USB related problems - peripherals stopped working etc. but I get a note in the Check settings saying there is an issue with GPS, and I get very similar stuff to yvereg in Signal K - number of sats shows 10, Date/Time is correct and messages are current but Lat/Long is null, as is COG and Mag. var.

I am using a USB Globslsat BU-353
(2023-06-22, 04:25 AM)Techstyle Wrote: I believe I have the same issue as @yvereg.  I have RPi 4 running OP2 and this issue appeared last week, there were also other weird USB related problems - peripherals stopped working etc.  but I get a note in the Check settings saying there is an issue with GPS, and I get very similar stuff to yvereg in Signal K - number of sats shows 10, Date/Time is correct and messages are current but Lat/Long is null, as is COG and Mag. var. 

I've seen similar before with new GPS modules. Took a few hours with a view of the sky to download the  latest almanac data before it  gets a position fix.
(2023-06-22, 05:20 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2023-06-22, 04:25 AM)Techstyle Wrote: I believe I have the same issue as @yvereg.  I have RPi 4 running OP2 and this issue appeared last week, there were also other weird USB related problems - peripherals stopped working etc.  but I get a note in the Check settings saying there is an issue with GPS, and I get very similar stuff to yvereg in Signal K - number of sats shows 10, Date/Time is correct and messages are current but Lat/Long is null, as is COG and Mag. var. 

I've seen similar before with new GPS modules. Took a few hours with a view of the sky to download the  latest almanac data before it  gets a position fix.

it wasn't new, I have been using the same Globalsat BU-353 since my original install in February of 2020.  I have recently switched the SD card for a backup and then updated all modules.