This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serial device not added correctly
(2023-06-22, 04:25 AM)Techstyle Wrote: I believe I have the same issue as @yvereg. .... I get very similar stuff to yvereg in Signal K - number of sats shows 10, Date/Time is correct and messages are current but Lat/Long is null, as is COG and Mag. var. 

I am using a USB Globslsat BU-353

That is not what yvereg is reporting as a problem as far as I am aware from reading his posts, the screenshots in the thread where lat/long, COG and Mag var are showing as null are mine not his. That's because the USB GPS module is sitting on my desk with no view of the sky.

His problem is that he can't successfully install his GPS so isn't getting any messages in Signal K at all, null or otherwise. The problem is as he reports "no such file or directory cannot open /dev/ttyOP_gnss, not connected" and "no alias created". He can fix that by manually creating a symlink.
(2023-06-22, 09:06 AM)baltika_no_9 Wrote:
(2023-06-22, 04:25 AM)Techstyle Wrote: I believe I have the same issue as @yvereg. .... I get very similar stuff to yvereg in Signal K - number of sats shows 10, Date/Time is correct and messages are current but Lat/Long is null, as is COG and Mag. var. 

That is not what yvereg is reporting as a problem as far as I am aware from reading his posts, the screenshots in the thread where lat/long, COG and Mag var are showing as null are mine not his. That's because the USB GPS module is sitting on my desk with no view of the sky.

His problem is that he can't successfully install his GPS so isn't getting any messages in Signal K  at all, null or otherwise. The problem is as he reports "no such file or directory cannot open /dev/ttyOP_gnss, not connected" and "no alias created". He can fix that by manually creating a symlink.

When I get back to the boat I will report the error message I am getting on startup and then the Data browser info.  I am seeing 10-12 satellites but my USB hub may have been shorted out by a water event (well a 53 mile double handed race with 35kt winds and 10ft waves).  Not sure if this would have reset the BU-353?
(2023-06-22, 09:22 AM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2023-06-22, 09:06 AM)baltika_no_9 Wrote:

His problem is that he can't successfully install his GPS so isn't getting any messages in Signal K  at all, null or otherwise. The problem is as he reports "no such file or directory cannot open /dev/ttyOP_gnss, not connected" and "no alias created". He can fix that by manually creating a symlink.

When I get back to the boat I will report the error message I am getting on startup and then the Data browser info.  I am seeing 10-12 satellites but my USB hub may have been shorted out by a water event (well a 53 mile double handed race with 35kt winds and 10ft waves).  Not sure if this would have reset the BU-353?

That's a good idea but i still think that's a different problem, it certain needs investigation I agree. This thread is specifically about a problem where it is not possible to successfully add a serial device (GPS, multiplexer input, RS422 whatever). The only problem I have ever seen with my BU-353 is that for some reason it once switched from nmea to SIRF protocol. No idea why. Anyway, good luck. I hope you did well in the race!
I found the problem!

I do not why but the way we were extracting the id vendor ad the id product to identify the device no longer works and udev rules with wrong id vendor and id product are generated, probably due to a change in udev or pyudev.

I'm looking into the best way to fix this...
(2023-06-27, 03:35 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I found the problem!

I do not why but the way we were extracting the id vendor ad the id product to identify the device no longer works and udev rules with wrong id vendor and id product are generated, probably due to a change in udev or pyudev.

I'm looking into the best way to fix this...

Great work, thank you.
(2023-06-22, 09:32 AM)baltika_no_9 Wrote:  Anyway, good luck. I hope you did well in the race!

41 boats started the race, only 17 finished - steering, rigging and sail damage to some.  we finished first in our class!

I was back at the boat last night training a new crew for a race on Friday (67 NM across Lake Michigan), I didn't see an error message and the GPS is working, it may have re acquired the position now, not sure.  I have to do some more waterproofiing for everything now
Fixed in OpenPlotter Serial v3.2.8!!!

Update and report please.
(2023-06-28, 07:16 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Fixed in OpenPlotter Serial v3.2.8!!!

Update and report please.

Works perfectly, thanks Sailoog!

"Remember device by vendor" is working again, I can add devices and move them between different ports with no issues.
Excellent work, thank you

I notice that in the new 3.2.8 panel, the variables displayed  include vendor,product,model whereas before it was vendor,product,serial. The latter ties in with the option to remember device (by vendor, product, serial). If I put two similar devices in, the vendor,product,model will be identical but even though the serial numbers are not displayed is it still possible to differentiate those on the basis of different serial numbers?

The two devices do have distinct serial numbers of course:

Code:
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 Serial (UART) IC

idVendor           0x0403 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
  idProduct          0x6001 FT232 Serial (UART) IC
  bcdDevice            6.00
  iManufacturer           1 FTDI
  iProduct                2 FT232R USB UART
  iSerial                 3 AQ02Z7EX

Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 Serial (UART) IC

idVendor           0x0403 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
  idProduct          0x6001 FT232 Serial (UART) IC
  bcdDevice            6.00
  iManufacturer           1 FTDI
  iProduct                2 FT232R USB UART
  iSerial                 3 A904NAOG

I've answered my own question, the answer is no, it cannot differentiate between two identical devices so we cannot Remember a device by vendor,product,serial any more only vendor,product (and probably model because as the following screenshot shows I have two devices enabled with identical vendor,product hence the message Device with duplicate vendor and product must be set to "Remember port" is incorrect). I will check to see if it worked that way before the change.

Attached Files Image(s)

I've checked with Serial version 3.2.0 and I definitely could add both devices even though they had identical vendor, product. It was possible to discriminate on the basis of serial numbers.

Attached Files Image(s)