This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heating control
Hi,
From now on me and my wife will live aboard one or two nights a week, all year around. 
We normally keep the boat in the water during winter but living aboard requires more than the usual 5 degrees Celsius to be comfortable. In order not to waste more energy than necessary I was thinking of a way to control our electric heater with the pi. Ideally it should be possible to remotely bring up temperature to 20 degrees a couple of hours before we get home. 
The heater is currently controlled by a bi-metal thermostat that in turn pulls a relay that switches on the heater. Replacing this circuitry with something else will not be a problem. 
Any ideas on how to accomplish this?
I run OpenPlotter 3 on rpi4 4gb 64-Bit
Cheers,
P
Use a shelly and the shelly plug-in. You'll also need a way to get environment.inside.temperature into SK. I used Ruuvi Tags for that. Works great.

Then, you'd only need to have some logic somewhere to activate the shelly, which would in turn fire the heater. Node-Red would be great at this.

I had intended to do this on my old boat, but life changed and I had to sell it. In the market now for a replacement and will be doing this exact thing on the next one.