This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New user, excited at potential of Open!
Hi everyone

I discovered opencpm/openmarine recently and installed on my old RPi 1a.

Impressed with your work, ive ordered a RPi3b today to get the OpenCpm working and build a project for my yacht.

Amita is an x-yachts X-46, living in the med.

My initial plans are to configure as access point to share iphone based internet access, this worked on the old pi and your configuration seems to do this out of the box. 

Then its charting and N2K integration for general and AIS dara, which seems to need a dongle that is presently not available?

Amita has a Digital Yacht AIT500 class b ais transponder with N2K output that i'm hoping to connect to, has anyone done this before?

Looking forward to tinkering with the pi at home and then testing in the sun next time we are out!

Steve

Attached Files Image(s)

Sderbyshire

Then its charting and N2K integration for general and AIS dara, which seems to need a dongle that is presently not available?

Steve

Hi Steve it depends which stick you talk about.

http://shop.sailoog.com/en/4-usb-sdr-ais-receiver.html

The stick is available... Its a new generation with a lot advantages to the old.

Sailloog have 2 shops :-) One is linked to the old shop and there are also dongles for a little cheaper price. This dongle i set a link here in the answer is a better choose.

I buy one piece allways extra and if he have absolute noone in stock i can ship you the stick in case of urgency. the stick i have is 2 weeks old and i did flash it for testing purposes with another firmware but it should be no problem.

The original RTL-SDR Stick you should not buy in Ebay or Amazon because there exists cheap fakes for the moment and RTL-SDR did warn about this in their blog.

So buy with saillog and if he realy do not have one in stock you can buy with him and i will ship you for urgency needs.
http://donau-grundel-schiff.de/en/2017/0...-ebay-etc/ 

I will have 1 or 2 parts allways for local or urgend needs. Keep attention to run the dongle with a good hub and not directely at the Raspberry pi. This dongle takes 260 mA to prevent you for dissfunction use a good hub for the USB Ports. I am not satisfied complete with the Hub you see in the documentation. The hub is good but the part is delivered just with a 1 A bulk for 220 Volts but anyways on the boat i will work with 12 V to 5.1V Converter what brings me more flexability and stability. Raspberry Pi V3 is very sensitive in this. 

The Can Dongle project is not in production state as far as i see for the moment. The fact is you can do it in own response. But you should be aware if you go this way hopefully to give something back...

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/the-...of-canboat

i do not plan personally to buy any N2K licenced Hardware for the moment and in this interview you can understand my reasons. For this i did not bought not the USB stick.

If i have possibility i personaly do not put not money in a organisation to support and manyfest such kind of products withsuch strange copyright restrictions if i have alternatives.

But do you realy use can bus? The transponder does not work with NMEA183? I suggest to go that way with yours transponder if possible. From DData transfer it should be more than enough under normal conditions.
Thanks for the reply Tocan

I do use n2k for ais as the yacht has B&G instruments, including a Zeus plotter.

The Zeus has only one nmea0183 interface, and i need to run this at 4800 baud to interface to the B&G network, which precludes ais.
Hence the ais is on the n2k network.
That's 3 networks !

But it all works  Cool

I do have the option of a usb interface to the Digital Yacht Ait500 so i think i will try that first, but i dont think it multiplexes nmea data onto the usb so this route will only give me ais, not wind/speed/depth etc.

I will document the journey and hopefully add some value here !

Steve

PS, i do run the pi from a 12-5v converter, with a powered hub for usb.
(2017-05-14, 08:44 AM)Sderbyshire Wrote: Thanks for the reply Tocan

I do use n2k for ais as the yacht has B&G instruments, including a Zeus plotter.

The Zeus has only one nmea0183 interface, and i need to run this at 4800 baud to interface to the B&G network, which precludes ais.
Hence the ais is on the n2k network.
That's 3 networks !

But it all works  Cool

I do have the option of a usb interface to the Digital Yacht Ait500 so i think i will try that first, but i dont think it multiplexes nmea data onto the usb so this route will only give me ais, not wind/speed/depth etc.

I will document the journey and hopefully add some value here !

Steve

PS, i do run the pi from a 12-5v converter, with a powered hub for usb.

No problem at all I suggest to buy with sailoog the new Dongle it have a lot of advantages against the simple Dongle the documentation is outdated for the moment. I did change this in the German translation and i have a git account but to change its not possible for me. My free git is full and i can not fork.

someone have to take my things and put it to the official git.
I am new in all this topics because I did in November buy my first boat it's just a motor boat and the engine is a old diesel from 1959. Anyways I am not a programmer or developer or deep in electronics knowledge. I am just be educate medical.
I did just translate the documentation to German to understand a little bit the possibilities of Openplotter. I know since one month about existence of nmea
[emoji1]

I was reading today in openseamap documentation and did found in the water depth project some information that they use a actisense board to conect sonar.

Anyways I remembered me of my beaglebone black (I have the old version with 2gb) does have a can bus. I never did use it. But as far as I understand I think if you go this way you need just an additional receiver what should cost 15 euros. It should work.

I did found following interesting information for you but if you go on ask sailoog it's the right way to go. I think for what I read to use a beaglebone is the most easy way to interconnect to open plotter and have a stabile system of yours needs. Your needs go compliant to Signal K and not to the proprietary restrictions of NMEA2000. Canboat direction is very clear to go the way with signal K after I read the future.

The promised way and the Link:

Look up J1939 instead of NMEA 2000, it is the same thing and far better documented. Once you've got a basic J1939 system working you can look at CanBoat for how to parse the sailing specific PGNs. They have it all laid out in code, but it exports to JSON and XML files that are human readable with the bitfields for each PGN.

When you find a CANBUS shield you want to find one that doesn't have the termination resistors hard wired, because that means you have to put it at the end of the bus. Sadly most ones aimed at car applications are wired this way. In Beaglebone Black the Waveshare cape is the one to get, it is $15 on eBay (search for RS-485, it also does that and is mostly sold for that application). In Arduino land it looks like the Sparkfun shield has the termination resistors hardwired, so I'd skip it (or I'd unsolder R10 and R12). I haven't looked at the schematics for the Seeed Studio shield, it might be better.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.p...ng-system/

Important: a real good developer with experience should verify this statement. I have no experience in this topic and just try to point a possible way what is correct IMHO

Regards

WILFRIED

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
Welcome Sderbyshire.

OpenCPN only understands NMEA 0183 so if you want to have AIS in opencpn/openplotter you have to try to feed it with AIS NMEA 0183.

Development of our new model of CAN-USB stick is ready and we are producing now some units to sell. The old model was working right but it was not isolated. If your are using the same power source to feed all the system there is no problem but people were afraid of damage their expensive NMEA 2000 equipment. This new model is optically isolated and protected.

We use canboat software to convert from N2K to signal k but there is not signal k to AIS NMEA 0183 converter.
Thanks sailoog

I'd be interested to test one of the new can-usb sticks if that allows me to connect the pi to the n2k network?

I dont have an nmea0183 option.

Steve
(2017-05-15, 07:47 PM)Sderbyshire Wrote: Thanks sailoog

I'd be interested to test one of the new can-usb sticks if that allows me to connect the pi to the n2k network?

I dont have an nmea0183 option.

Steve

Not open source but why not use one of the products from Actisense, digital yacht, shipmodul, etc.? They will cost dollars of course but you are sailing an X with B&G and Zeus so I'm guessing you can afford a converter ;Wink

This way you can convert N2K to NMEA0183 which OCPN understands that way you'll get your AIS into OCPN.. This one from Actisense for example come in a N2K to USB version.
Thanks Chris.

I am o-en to buying the n2k to usb converter, but actually not sure i need to!

My ais is the digital yacht ait1500n2k, which has a usb output as well as the n2k.

So i'm hoping to use that.

If the ait1500n2k doesnt multiplex the non-ais data onto usb then i could add a nmea0183/4800 inout from the b&G.

Frustratingly i wont see Amita for about 6 weeks so cant play with interfacing just yet.....

Does ayone have experience of connecting the ait1500n2k via usb?
I know digital yacht are supporters of signalk, and nice people, so maybe i'll ask them direct.

Steve
(2017-05-18, 10:59 AM)Sderbyshire Wrote: Thanks Chris.

I am o-en to buying the n2k to usb converter, but actually not sure i need to!

My ais is the digital yacht ait1500n2k, which has a usb output as well as the n2k.

So i'm hoping to use that.

If the ait1500n2k doesnt multiplex the non-ais data onto usb then i could add a nmea0183/4800 inout from the b&G.

Frustratingly i wont see Amita for about 6 weeks so cant play with interfacing just yet.....

Does ayone have experience of connecting the ait1500n2k via usb?
I know digital yacht are supporters of signalk, and nice people, so maybe i'll ask them direct.

Steve
Fair enough.

Looking through the AIT1500 manual from the DY site the first thing I note is that the USB port is not isolated and they don't recommend it for long term connection to a PC; they recommend using an isolated NMEA/USB converter instead.

Otherwise it looks like it might be capable of at least some multiplexing 

Quote:A multiplexing feature is provided, which means any messages received on the low speed Input 2 port are automatically transmitted on the high speed Output 1 port. This is particularly useful when using a chart plotter having only a single NMEA0183 port.