This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pi5 - Possibly end of October
Hi all,

Not sure if you have seen but the Pi5 looks to be on its way with another increase in performance and several changes to the board inlcuding a Real-time clock and dedicated fan socket.

Specs and whats new https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-5

I might have pre-ordered a 8gb model.... Smile
4gb pre-ordered.

Requires the new Debian Bookworm and that means OpenPlotter 4

Calculating the necessary changes in the MacArthur HAT as well...
I just pre-ordered 8GB from SparkFun (their starter kit). I'm looking forward to booting with OpenPlotter, then adding some media apps and an audio output HAT.

I am not finding any discussion of OpenPlotter 4; is this an ongoing project or something new? Any links? What are the prospects for availability with respect to the R Pi 5 shipping (i.e. a month from now)?

I'm also going to be interested in the MacArthur HAT at some point, although that is not an immediate concern. Perhaps I could be a tester for a new version.

Greg
(2023-09-28, 09:29 AM)Sailoog Wrote: 4gb pre-ordered.

Requires the new Debian Bookworm and that means OpenPlotter 4

Calculating the necessary changes in the MacArthur HAT as well...

just when things seem under control, my pi4 arrived a couple of days ago and i started to hook stuff up and bang a new pi. i am really excited about the MacArthur hat it will clean stuff up a lot.
(2023-09-30, 12:53 AM)CarinaPDX Wrote: I am not finding any discussion of OpenPlotter 4; is this an ongoing project or something new? Any links? What are the prospects for availability with respect to the R Pi 5 shipping (i.e. a month from now)?

I think this is the first discussion of OP4. Sailoog is saying he'll need to migrate to OP4 to be able to run it effectively on a new OS. 

For now, OP3 is super solid on my Pi4, and that's what's going into my next boat!
You are correct, OP3 is super solid and working well for us too. Hopefully the way it’s now being built means it’s not a huge job but I’m not underestimating the amount of effort that goes into all this. The team behind it do an outstanding job!
Do not worry, we still have power left for OpenPlotter 4 Smile

As you can read in the docs, we always need a new major version of OpenPlotter when Debian officially releases a new major release and Raspberry OS releases a new major release based on this Debian release. So, we are already there, Raspberry 5 will need a new version of Raspberry OS based on Debian Bookworm and we will release OpenPlotter 4 based on Raspberry OS Bookworm. This time OpenPlotter 4 will work only for 64 bits.

You all are right. OpenPlotter 3 needed a lot of changes because some applications were not even in stable state and some breaking changes were waiting for a major release to be applied. This time OpenPlotter 4 will just need some changes to adapt all the apps to the new OS, not big or breaking changes are waiting. It should be a smooth transition and we will start it when the dust of Raspberry 5 and Raspberry OS Bookworm has settled.

We are considering the changes in MacArthur HAT v.1.1 required to work in Raspberry 5 as well but without having a Raspberry 5 in hand yet we can see only few potential issues easily solved even with the current design. More info soon.
Just got my Rpi 5 8GB! Big Grin

As usual, consider it available for testing @Sailoog
Im still waiting for mine and the company i ordered from i beat the 10am cut off for the first batch!
Mine is on its way Smile

Anything we want to do with Rpi5 will need OpenPlotter 4. I did already some work on it and I will send you some apps to test OP4/Rpi5/MacArthur soon: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=4942