This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Maiana problems on linux PC
Last year I bought a maiana AIS transponder, and it worked perfectly out of the box (after assembly) with my Raspberry PI Openplotter.  Pretty impressive performance from the transponder - I was getting open ocean AIS signals from as far away as 80 miles!!!

However, I have now swapped out my Raspberry PI for a small Linux PC with much more processing power.  And this has introduced a problem with the maiana transponder.  I have figured out the following so far:

1 - Maiana Works perfectly with OpenPlotter on Raspberry PI

2 - A weird conflict in Ubuntu has the braille terminal (brltty) assigned the same USB device numbers as the serial converter in the maiana device.  Solution is to remove the braille terminal (sudo apt remove brltty).  See 
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1403705/...untu-22-04

3 - OpenPlotter on a Linux laptop or PC still does not connect.  With the brlttl removed, the USB port now appears correctly, with the device and product ID 1a86:7523.  But the configuration within OpenPlotter does not work.  SignalK creates the connection, but no data flows.  And the configuration app for maiana successfully gets permissions from SignalK, but is unable to connect to the device.  See the attached image.

4 - As a workaround, Opencpn can make a direct connection to maiana using the port alias as set up in openplotter-serial.  Although this works, the data is local to the instance of opencpn, and not available from a signal-K connection like it was under raspberry pi.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?  I would really like the AIS data to come from signalK.
Thanks,

Attached Files Image(s)