This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to add multiple sensors?
I'm quite new to Pi/opencpn and want to add several sensors to my new 3b.

I'm thinking:

Temperature
Pressure
Humidity
Imu
Compass?
Gps?

What is the best way to neatly integrate several sensors?

Should i look for a hat that has most/all that i want, or use something that allows me to add my own sensors?

I see on the shop a hat that adds screw connectors to facilitate adding multiple sensors, out of stock though !

I have two projects in mind, the yacht one and one for a classic car!
For the yacht its mainly interfacing, i've another thread in that, for the car i'm thinking gps/imu for speed/acceleration monitoring, for road and track ?

Advice appreciated!

Steve
Hi Steve,

I wouldn't want to measure the temp close to the RPi so I would go for multiple sensors and connect them via I2C. The I2C bus uses only two pins + VC and GND and it's very easy to use. There are tons of tutorials on youtube but if you need help with your setup this community will certainly help.

Best, Daniel
(2017-05-19, 10:17 AM)shark24 Wrote: i so I would go for multiple sensors and connect them via I2C. The I2C bus uses only two pins + VC and GND and it's very easy to use. 

With openplotter it's actually probably better to go for the ds18n20 thermometers, they connect via 1wire. Openplotter has a tab for this, easy to set up. 

I have them connected to cylinder head, exhaust and alternator then convert the cylinder head to nmea water temperature so it's visible in the opencpn dashboard. 

Also, a breakout board makes things a bit easier when connection to the gpio pins..

[Image: N31NT1.jpg]  

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-ras...ng/ds18b20
(2017-05-18, 11:06 AM)Sderbyshire Wrote: ...

I'm thinking:

Temperature
Pressure
Humidity
Imu
Compass?
Gps?
Well Paddy take a look at the list of sensors he would like to connect... Certainly the ds18b20 is useful if you want to use multiple temperature sensors but in Steve's case 1-wire is not the best way.

just my two cents
[/quote]
Well Paddy take a look at the list of sensors he would like to connect... Certainly the ds18b20 is useful if you want to use multiple temperature sensors but in Steve's case 1-wire is not the best way.

just my two cents
[/quote]

Are there better temperature sensors available? The DS18B20 are the best ones I've come across so far, but if there are better available then it's always good to know in future. Thanks

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
You are not getting the point. The question is not how to use multiple temperature sensors or which sensor is the best. The question is how to use multiple sensors like compass, gyro, temp, weather, gps and so on.
The answer to that is not the 1-wire but the i2c bus.
My example with the temperature measurement close to the pi was just random. You can change it to gps or compass or something else... I was just saying that i would not want to use a sensor hat.
(2017-05-19, 12:44 PM)shark24 Wrote: You are not getting the point. The question is not how to use multiple temperature sensors or which sensor is the best. The question is how to use multiple sensors like compass, gyro, temp, weather, gps and so on.
The answer to that is not the 1-wire but the i2c bus

Why? That makes no sense imho. Ds18 are simple to wire, seconds to set up, cheap, wateproof and very accurate. Why bother trying to shoehorn everything onto one bus, you don't have to and is there anything to gain?

(2017-05-19, 12:47 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2017-05-19, 12:44 PM)shark24 Wrote: You are not getting the point. The question is not how to use multiple temperature sensors or which sensor is the best. The question is how to use multiple sensors like compass, gyro, temp, weather, gps and so on.

Why? That makes no sense imho. Ds18 are simple to wire, seconds to set up, cheap, wateproof and very accurate. Why bother trying to shoehorn everything onto one bus, you don't have to and is there anything  to gain?

So you pointed out an easy way to measure temperature... I'm not questioning that! Please enlighten me. How do your measure  Pressure, Humidity, GPS Position, g-forces, compass, voltage etc with 1-wire and is it really simpler that just connecting ina219,bme280,gps, etc via i2c?
(2017-05-19, 12:47 PM)PaddyB Wrote:

Why? That makes no sense imho. Ds18 are simple to wire, seconds to set up, cheap, wateproof and very accurate. Why bother trying to shoehorn everything onto one bus, you don't have to and is there anything  to gain?

He is talking about the other sensors PaddyB.. You are right regarding the Ds18 for temperature but the OPs list is a lot longer than temperature sensors.

SDerbyshire you can get Temp, press, and humidity in one sensor now . BME280 same with IMU, Compass, then you just need a GPS .

I have a GPS HAT with an SMA connector on the case, then on the I2C bus a BME280 also via an IP67 connector outside the case, a MPU9150 for heading & attitude, an RTC and another temp/humidity sensor inside the case, then some 1W sensors to measure various temps. My case is sealed so not much point putting the weather sensors inside on a HAT.
(2017-05-19, 01:13 PM)Littlechay Wrote: He is talking about the other sensors PaddyB.. You are right regarding the Ds18 for temperature but the OPs list is a lot longer than temperature sensors.

SDerbyshire you can get Temp, press, and humidity in one sensor now . BME280 same with IMU, Compass, then you just need a GPS .

Maybe so, but seems extremely limiting having just one  temperature reading measured in the same location as the press/humidity sensor when it's easy to break out ds18 sensors  to the engine etc and get much more  useful readings.