This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to add multiple sensors?
(2017-05-19, 01:48 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2017-05-19, 01:13 PM)Littlechay Wrote: He is talking about the other sensors PaddyB.. You are right regarding the Ds18 for temperature but the OPs list is a lot longer than temperature sensors.

SDerbyshire you can get Temp, press, and humidity in one sensor now . BME280 same with IMU, Compass, then you just need a GPS .

Maybe so, but seems extremely limiting having just one  temperature reading measured in the same location as the press/humidity sensor when it's easy to break out ds18 sensors  to the engine etc and get much more  useful readings.

No one questioned that! None off your postings is related to the topic. You can repeat yourself over and over again that wont change a thing. Certainly you could have discuss the limitation of i2c when it comes to equal sensors and address conflicts but if you just want to talk about ds18b20 this is not the right place.
(2017-05-19, 02:08 PM)shark24 Wrote: No one questioned that! None off your postings is related to the topic. You can repeat yourself over and over again that wont change a thing. Certainly you could have discuss the limitation of i2c when it comes to equal sensors and address conflicts but if you just want to talk about ds18b20 this is not the right place.

No need to get so excited about it, and I would suggest it very much is on topic for the OP, he stated that it's new territory to him:

Quote:What is the best way to neatly integrate several sensors?

To the OP - it's possible to combine temp/barometer/humidity in one sensor like a BMP180 but for a useful system this would be very  limiting, it would be worth looking at separate temperature sensors so they can be placed in places of interest. 
Chill
Smile  Heart
Thanks everyone, no replies for a while then pages of them!

I agree that 1 wire sensors for multiple temperature monitoring makes sense.

For the rest i like the odea of a single board, and the BerryImu looks good, has anyone tried that?

Regards

Steve
(2017-05-19, 01:48 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2017-05-19, 01:13 PM)Littlechay Wrote: He is talking about the other sensors PaddyB.. You are right regarding the Ds18 for temperature but the OPs list is a lot longer than temperature sensors.

SDerbyshire you can get Temp, press, and humidity in one sensor now . BME280 same with IMU, Compass, then you just need a GPS .

Maybe so, but seems extremely limiting having just one  temperature reading measured in the same location as the press/humidity sensor when it's easy to break out ds18 sensors  to the engine etc and get much more  useful readings.

PaddyB are you deliberately being thick or misleading? You deliberately cut my post, in your quote, to remove the part where I advocate 1W sensors (the DS18 are 1W you know?). 

However the DS18 are not as useful for meto monitoring, that is why something like the BME280 (temp, pressure, humidity) is so good for that part of the system.

I use several 1W sensors to monitor various diverse things such as sea water temperature, engine exhaust, alternator and batteries. They are a great tool but not the only tool.
BerryImu is tested and I recommend you this imu. BME280 is working right for temp, hum and press. Both of them I2C.

And of course 1W DS18 for temperature under hard conditions (engine, fridge...), ask PaddyB Tongue Big Grin
Thanks Sailoog

I have ordered the Berryimu, better order a few DS18s as well !
Update !

BerryIMU arrived today so could not resist wiring it up for a test..... easy !

Both the BME280 and the IMU itself appeared in the SignalK disgnostic, and with a little work in Node-Red I have a dashboard!
Using a usb gps i have lat/lon/sog/temp/press/6axis gyro ? All presented.

Did also try Freeboard, seems to work well.

I do find that the Pi locks up after a period of running, i had trouble getting it to shutdown.

Is this an Alpha test issue or something more significant with signalk/nodered?
(2017-05-31, 07:18 PM)Sderbyshir Wrote: I do find that the Pi locks up after a period of running, i had trouble getting it to shutdown.

Is this an Alpha test issue or something more significant with signalk/nodered?

More data it is needed. Try to describe your environment, settings, error messages....
Ok, pi3b with the latest alpha version, updated this morning.

The only things i have added to the std config are usbmuxd which seems to be needed for iphone tehering.

I have the recommended usb dongle and the berryimu attached.

Everything good for several hours with node red routine driving data as above to it's dashboard webpage.

I was letting the graphs on the dashboard update every second, but saw the pi locking up so added 10 second sampling delays, made no difference.

Symptoms are the cpu light on full time and system very unresponsive, mouse barely moves and i could not get even the shutdown menu to work today. The cpu gauge is not at 100% so i'm guessing thats not responding either.

Not sure any of that is useful!

Steve
I would try to isolate the problem. One by one disable connected devices and stop applications until you find out the guilty.